Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default osx - major favor - 04-01-2009, 03:18 AM

im in the process of ordering a new mini. through my educational discount i can get a stripped mini 512/8/ubuntu in the color i want for cheap. i would upgrade ram, and maybe edu xp ($7.99...), and office it to get it rolling. i eventually want to run osx (exclusively) but am a bit intimitdated by the install, especially with needing to get the card reader functioning, and the possibility of bluetooth, webcam, etc.

basically, im wondering if anyone out there has a tricked out mini, with all these fully functional, that i could either send my upgraded hard drive to, or that could use theirs to create a backup that i could use to install as though i had wiped it. ive already got the picture - get a runcore - i plan on it. but im impatient, and dont have a lot of time to mess with this once that hard drive is available again. with the runcore, i could install from my imac here in 24" of glory, but wouldnt i still benefit from the backup someone else with the same configuration has created? i mean, i have this new copy of osx sittin here in the box, id really like to use it.

thanks

ps - dell is (again?) offering the 64gb on the mini9 on their website, configure for the cheapest ubuntu computer then go back to hard drive. its 150 dollars to upgrade, shipping delays, and werent people saying the OEM was a dog?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: osx - major favor - 04-01-2009, 04:10 AM

wow. where do we even begin to answer this odd request:
1) You're asking to have someone else's copy of os x installed/"backed up" on your hard drive? Isn't that "piracy", which I'm sure it's not condoned here. You're arguing that you might not have the time to install it but the install doesn't take much time or effort thanks to the concise FAQs. Since you're already waiting for everything, a hour of work installing os x wouldn't make much of a difference.

2) You should definitely try reading the FAQs again for the os x and try to do it on your own first. There are a lot of members here to help with questions. Plus the best part is installing os x, hopefully with your own copy of os x, is the DIY aspect.

This post might be locked soon.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: osx - major favor - 04-01-2009, 04:42 AM

ive got my own license info for a legally purchased copy, not installed anywhere else... im just really intimidated by software anything. i dont know much of anything about partitioning or dealing under the hood of a mac os. if someone can point me to a FAQ that outlines how to plug in a runcore and install it all from my imac id do it. i swear ive read it on here before, but i cant find it again. most people talk about how theyve had to tinker to get the bluetooth or webcam working, and ive not been a successful tinkerer with computers over the years. what the hey, its only a 220 dollar hard drive and ill have a mini9 to play with while im doin it i guess...
  (#4) Old

Default Re: osx - major favor - 04-01-2009, 06:00 AM

Link to installing runcore SSD hard drive:
http://mydellmini.com/forum/runcore-...cs--t4483.html

Link to installing OS X with retail copy:
http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-i...hod-t3925.html

There shouldn't be much "tinkering" with the bluetooth or webcam hardware if you follow the instructions carefully.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: osx - major favor - 04-01-2009, 07:20 AM

Do not be intimidated.

It really is simple.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#6) Old

Default Re: osx - major favor - 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM

I know absolutely nothing about OS X and all I did was follow the instructions. If you know how to burn a DVD and boot into your BIOS (which the instructions explain) you can do this. Seriously, it's EASY.

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1

« Flash the BIOS? | Dell mini w/ Mac OS Leopard/ Run Core 64. Can I run Adobe CS »