Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie here and Wireless internet help - 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM

Just got the mini 9 and have never used wireless internet before. I have dial up at home and I am looking for a cheap way to get the wireless internet to work at home. There are no wifi hotspots where I live and am looking into what my options are. Am I going to have to pay over $60.00 a month from a cell company like Alltel? Has anyone addressed this issue here before. I like using the mini 9 at school where the have wireless internet, but don't want to spend all day there. Any advice would be appreciated. Also anyone have any good resources on exact information on using the mini 9. I am really new at this and it takes me forever to dig through more experienced users topics. Are there any good beginners websites that you recommend? Thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Newbie here and Wireless internet help - 03-31-2009, 10:33 PM

where do you live? you can usually check out the cable/internet companies in your area and see what they charge. my housemates and i are paying about $34/mo for our hispeed internet (no cable tv, no phone service). and i think there are cheaper prices for slower hispeed plans. just call your company up and see what rates they have. and if money is tight on your end, ask them if you can downgrade even lower than the base package. after that, you'll need to get a wireless router and get that set up for your home. but that can be tackled once you've actually got service set up in your home.
as for exact information on using the mini 9, that all depends on what you want to do with it. i honestly have to say that this forum is a great source of information (just do a search for anything you want info on at the top of the forum page) and the questions usually get answered pretty quickly just ask away!

-- edit --

oh, you may forgo getting a wireless router if the cable company you decide on provides you with a wireless modem (i think that would work - i dont have one so i cant say for certain).
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Newbie here and Wireless internet help - 04-02-2009, 08:59 PM

I am from Longview, TX. I have looked into adding internet to my cable, it will will nearly double my payment (I am paying over $60.00 a month for basic right now). I am really looking for a way to take my mini to work, school and anywhere I travel and have net access. The town I live in is just starting to get wifi spots, but none of them are close/convenient for me. I am wondering how others are getting their access, are they just using free wifi spots, can they access at home, how do they access at home. I am really new at this and I am sure I have a million questions. I just need a place to begin. I like this site it is a neat resource. I am sure as it grows it will become a great resource. Unfortunatly I only have an hour at lunch and 2 - 15 minute brakes to dive into researching things I am interested in.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Newbie here and Wireless internet help - 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM

if you're not home often or long enough, i'd suggest getting rid of cable tv. any tv you need to watch, you can probably get over the air for free. and if not, then you can stream it from the internet also, get rid of a land line (i'm guessing you already have a cel phone). but these 2 omissions are strictly for saving you money. then if you decide to get hispeed internet, and the prices are reasonable, you'll only hafta pay about half of what you're paying now.
however, if i'm understanding what you're reading, your entire town doesnt really have any hotspots and you want to always be connected? then i'd suggest you get in touch with your cel phone carrier (ie att, sprint, verizon, tmobile, etc) and ask them about hooking you up with a wlan card for your laptop. that's gonna run you some $$ because of the data plan you'll need to subscribe to (it's essentially putting a celphone sim card into your laptop and hopping on the net that way), but i believe that's the only way to be online regardless of the existence of wifi hotspots.
BUT depending on how far you work from home, you can always try to boost your home's wifi signal. i've read that people were able to connect to their home network from as far as a mile away. O_o

« Heyyyy. | dell mini 9 with mac osx that won't startup »