Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default What OS To Install Off The Back - 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM

Ok well I have been searching these forums trying to decide on what OS to install on my mini 9 that should be getting here next week.

The specs are, 16gb SSD, and 2gb, and Ubuntu(well really 512 but I already ordered a 2gb stick) of ram. What I am looking for is the best os for me to slap on this thing, I want the best battery life possible and best performance, I have a macbook pro already so im not considering OS X and I am not a fan of Ubuntu.

I think I am going to go with XP because all the drivers are readily available for it. But I would really like to go with something newer like Vista or Windows 7, but I have some questions first.

Will Vista and Windows 7 automatically download all the drivers I need, or will I need to search for the drivers for them?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM

There are forum sections here on both Vista and Windows 7, each with lists of recommended drivers. If you have the choice, go for Windows 7. It runs very nicely on the Mini 9.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM

well I was going to post I thought I might get biased reports depending on what forum I posted in.

What OS is faster Windows 7 or Vista, both with aero off.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM

I found 7 much faster than Vista but I run XP Pro normally as it's well supported and runs well.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 04-01-2009, 07:00 AM

Ive seen windows 7 run on this machine, it runs pretty good and I would say that would be an optimal choice. But osx is my preferred os for the mini...

Obsidian black mini 9|32gb STEC ssd|2gb crucial ram| sleep working (usb legacy disabled in bios)|1.3 mp webcam (photobooth and everything is working out of the box)|250GB external cavalry HDD+time machine|bios A04
  (#6) Old

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 04-01-2009, 07:16 AM

Pick a number from 1 through 10, any number...

Just don't pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 0

Seriously, if you have a Mac why would you NOT choose OSX (except for the $$$ aspect)?

You already have the sharing and the remote access and control taken care of.

I am betting that the best performance is probably OSX unless 7 is stripped down.

I KNOW it is a better performer than XP.

Just wondering...

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#7) Old

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 04-02-2009, 12:52 AM

Well I don't want mac OS because from what I heard there is pretty poor flash performance with the mini 9 and OS X, also because sometimes my professors let me out earlier so I have 45-30 mins to burn and I want to go down nostalgia lane and play some old games (roller coaster tycoon, oregon trail, some other stuff).
  (#8) Old

Default Re: What OS To Install Off The Back - 04-04-2009, 04:03 AM

Oh man I can't believe how well Windows 7 works! Its amazing, with running vista it always felt like they just pushed it out without optimizing it, I mean its stable, and looks good, but it just isn't very optimized or fast. I still only have 512 mb of ram on my mini 9 because my 2gb stick hasn't arrived and this thing still runs great!

Thanks guys, windows 7 is now my second (close second) favorite OS after leopard!

« dell mini 9 with mac osx that won't startup | New Mini 9 Owner Here »