Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default OS X newb needs help - 03-31-2009, 05:01 AM

Finally got my 16gb Runcore and a traded a friend a spare copy of XP for OS X 10.5.1. Installed and have it working but I have nearly no space left on my spacious 16gb SSD (I upgraded from the 4gb stock Dell). I am a Windows and occasional Ubuntu guy and haven't the slightest clue how to work OS X. Any guides on how to trim it back? I would like to dual boot with Win7 as I got the mini to use for school and to fiddle with and I need office (and I don't wanna buy office for the mac when I already have a copy) for school. I have already ran the tool that gets rid of languages and architectures you don't need, as I needed the space to install the 10.5.6 update. Is xslimmer my only option? I wanna get the size down to around 6 or 7gb so that there is a decent amount of space for win7 (since my vlite experiments with it have been largely unsuccessful). I have an 8gb SSD which should be plenty of space for personal files for the two operating systems.

My Mini: Black, 16gb RunCore, 2gb RAM, 1.3MP, Bluetooth, 8gb SDHC, Windows 7 RC1
  (#2) Old

Default Re: OS X newb needs help - 03-31-2009, 05:15 AM

People have OSX running on 8gb ssd but they deleted some programs. You can use monolingual instead xslimmer.
There is also a free app for OSX to uninstall apps and remove extra files - Apptrap I guess.
Check http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstallin ... n_Mac_OS_X for more tips.
You can delete the voices files, wallpapers and screensavers.

(#3) Old

Default Re: OS X newb needs help - 03-31-2009, 05:29 AM

I used monolingual and turned off the hibernation and the removed the hibernate file so I could install the 10.5.6 update. Installing AppTrap now and am going to start getting rid of things. Is there anything I should NOT get rid of that is essential to the system?

My Mini: Black, 16gb RunCore, 2gb RAM, 1.3MP, Bluetooth, 8gb SDHC, Windows 7 RC1
  (#4) Old

Default Re: OS X newb needs help - 04-01-2009, 06:58 AM

during install of osx you had the option of customizing the install allowing you to opt out of like 5 gbs of useless crap, you could technically do a reinstall and customize the install to save like 5gb.. or just use an external disc and transfer everything you dont use all of the time..

Obsidian black mini 9|32gb STEC ssd|2gb crucial ram| sleep working (usb legacy disabled in bios)|1.3 mp webcam (photobooth and everything is working out of the box)|250GB external cavalry HDD+time machine|bios A04
  (#5) Old

Default Re: OS X newb needs help - 04-01-2009, 07:17 AM

I went on a deleting rampage and cleared up enough space so I had 6.9gb free out of 14.9gb. Only thing left to delete that I could find was X11. Going to image the drive and play with win7 and take another stab at xp and see if my previous issues with its performance were my 4gb ssd's fault or xp really is that crappy.

« Install Webcam Myself? | Flash the BIOS? »