Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Shopping for Mini 9 - 03-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Hi everyone,

Last week on Friday I went to buy a Mini 9, but for one reason or another decided to hold off.
Skip back to today and credit card in hand, I find that the 10% off deal no longer works, and the previously free upgrade from 1gb to 2gb of memory now has a cost associated.

Should I hold off and wait for further discounts or look to the 2nd hand market?

Ideally I am looking to purchase a mini 9 with 2gb, 1.3mp webcam, BT and a 32-64 SSD.

Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE (I'm a UK buyer)

Gypsy
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-01-2009, 07:04 AM

hmm, rule 1, never buy ram through dell, I bought a 2gb crucial sodimm on newegg for 18.99US free shipping where as dell wanted I think 75 dollars to upgrade, I got a 7% student discount and used a 50 dollar gift card. i would buy the cheapest 16gb ssd model you can find and instead of paying the extra premium for dell upgrades just upgrade it yourself.

Obsidian black mini 9|32gb STEC ssd|2gb crucial ram| sleep working (usb legacy disabled in bios)|1.3 mp webcam (photobooth and everything is working out of the box)|250GB external cavalry HDD+time machine|bios A04
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-03-2009, 03:30 AM

I did buy my ram through dell. I didn't do it when i configured my mini, but as a separate accessory that I'll have to install when it arrives. The ram cost 23 bucks through dell after some instant discount. right now it looks like its going for 20.99. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A2412386. don't know what the specs are, but I can't imagine they are terrible.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-03-2009, 12:53 PM

i'd suggest waiting until you find another discount. i gave my friend a discount code a while ago, but he waited..then the code expired. he couldnt wait any longer and bought a mini for like $230 or something. literally, 2 days later, the price dropped to $199 new. hahah i didnt tell him cuz i didnt want him to cry. but anyways, just wait til you find a deal. there's probably one waiting just around the corner.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to tetonca
Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM

The mini 9 seems to periodically go on sale for $50 off
on the USA website (for the base model which is stably
priced to $249). So the $199 price is available if you can
wait 10-30 days to catch the deal.

A 30% off coupon worked on the spare battery, dropping
it's price from $100 to $70.

Combining these two, you get a mini 9 with a spare battery
for $80 off what your peers paid -- a day before it went on
sale and if they hadn't hunted an accessories coupon.

Currently shipping seems to be held to $8.00 (it is list-priced
somewhere near $17 and then they toss in a feel-good
yellow/orange downgrade (line item) to drop it to $8).

They do of course charge State sales tax, so figure that in
when hunting.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Question
If I find what I want in the outlet store is that a better idea, the mini9 I wanted when I priced it out directly was around 600 dollars but I find nearly the same thing in the outlet store for 320. Not sure what I lose out on from getting it there? My big beef was getting the wan card inside, sucks it has to be at&t.
  (#7) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to -Devil-
Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffy
Question
If I find what I want in the outlet store is that a better idea, the mini9 I wanted when I priced it out directly was around 600 dollars but I find nearly the same thing in the outlet store for 320. Not sure what I lose out on from getting it there? My big beef was getting the wan card inside, sucks it has to be at&t.
ordering it through the outlet means you get it cheaper then what is normally on the main site ... and you don't get the pleasure of having to wait 2 to 6 weeks at the least wondering when it will be shipped .. but instead have to deal with having it in your hands within a week on average.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-08-2009, 09:55 PM

the outlet models are really no different, except cheaper and quicker to arrive at your door. Even if they're marked "refurbished" or "previously ordered new", I haven't seen anyone talk about receiving an inferior mini 9. I'm an outlet buyer and i highly recommend it.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltatory
...Even if they're marked "refurbished" or "previously ordered new", I haven't seen anyone talk about receiving an inferior mini 9...
really? i coulda swore i read many a post where people say they've gotten some laptops that have all the wrong specs or have broken this or missing that. O_o but i dunno, i could be jumbling up all my forum browsings.
i do have to say tho, i personally have bought 3 laptops from the dell outlet and i've never had any problems with any of them. the biggest issue i had was that one of them was a little "dirty" (had some dirt/hair underneath the keys, a little bit of grime on them as well.. it was obvious whoever was the previous owner was a slob). but in terms of function, not a hiccup whatsoever.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltatory
...Even if they're marked "refurbished" or "previously ordered new", I haven't seen anyone talk about receiving an inferior mini 9...
really? i coulda swore i read many a post where people say they've gotten some laptops that have all the wrong specs or have broken this or missing that.
maybe i should have clarified: after my nonscientific survey of these forums (aka reading through threads in my underwear with cheetos stuck in my beard) i think there is no difference in problems between mini 9s purchased new or from the outlet. of course, there are a small percentage of units that need something fixed upon arrival but i don't think the outlet units are any more prone to this. anyone else want to chime in?

« Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) | New Ram and SSD »