Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Guru

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltatory
... i think there is no difference in problems between mini 9s purchased new or from the outlet. of course, there are a small percentage of units that need something fixed upon arrival but i don't think the outlet units are any more prone to this. anyone else want to chime in?
I've read that refurbs can be more reliable than new. The rationale being refurbs are tested more throughly, so many problems would've been caught. Whereas new computers get assembled and shipped out with little regard.

I don't know how much I agree with that reasoning, but my experiences with the Outlet have been good so far.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Not a frequent computer buyer here. I do have some knowledge(very little). Decided to make my first purchase in four years and get both a PC and mini. Both from the outlet and saved 43% (or maybe more I forgot)

Got a dent and scratch PC (never did find the dent/scratch, and a previous purchased mini9. Once got past a mini CS nightmare (long story) I did have a bad memory card on the PC wipe out a Sunday (good support, just a long time to isolate the problem and fix the damage) But that would have happened with a new one as well.

Would not bat an eye in using the outlet again.
(
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-09-2009, 11:46 PM

I've purchased three refurbed minis from the outlet. They all looked and worked great... like new. Gave two of them to my kids. No issues with any of them.

Mini-9 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB RunCore | 1.3 Mp Webcam
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-10-2009, 10:12 PM

I just purchased a refurbished certified from the dell website. mini 9 2gb ram, 4gb HD. I plan on replacing the drive with a runcore, and eventually installing leopard. So excited! In total for the computer with shipping and tax, I paid less than $250. Does this sound about right?
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Shopping for Mini 9 - 04-12-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzosauce
I just purchased a refurbished certified from the dell website. mini 9 2gb ram, 4gb HD. I plan on replacing the drive with a runcore, and eventually installing leopard. So excited! In total for the computer with shipping and tax, I paid less than $250. Does this sound about right?
yeah..sounds about right if you didnt have a coupon.

« Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) | New Ram and SSD »