Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Flash the BIOS? - 03-30-2009, 12:37 AM

I got an alert from Dell Support "Critical update" that said ther was a Bios update available. I read the details but didn't really understand it. I was supposed to download something to "flash the Bios" (910_A04). I followed the directions and tried about 5 times to do what it said but was not successful. I sent an e-mail to Dell which outlined the error message I was getting but never heard anything back. This morning I tried again and this time it said I was successful.

Could someone tell me what it is I did? Nothing seems much different. I was just wondering what was so critical about it...

I am indeed a beginner so would appreciate a simple answer. Thanks in advance.

I have the Mini 9 and am running Windows XP.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Flash the BIOS? - 03-30-2009, 04:27 AM

i just flashed mine to A05 today..and i was reminded that flashing the bios only works if you have your battery plugged in as well as the ac power adapter plugged in. (i usually have my battery out but the flashing utility doesnt say that you need the battery plugged in) i dunno if that was your case but it solved my unsuccessful attempts.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Flash the BIOS? - 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM

But what is it doing?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Flash the BIOS? - 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM

oh..oops. i read your question wrong. hahah
i'm not sure if this is official, but check out this post..(i have no idea what A05 does :? )

http://www.netbookinsider.com/viewtopic ... =134&p=717
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Flash the BIOS? - 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
i just flashed mine to A05 today..and i was reminded that flashing the bios only works if you have your battery plugged in as well as the ac power adapter plugged in. (i usually have my battery out but the flashing utility doesnt say that you need the battery plugged in) i dunno if that was your case but it solved my unsuccessful attempts.
FWIW: Flashing under DOS is possible regardless if the battery is not inserted or the adapter is not attached...

910_A05 and A90_A04 are official BIOS provided by Brynden (Dell insider) and just haven't been posted yet over at Dell's ftp site...

« OS X newb needs help | osx - major favor »