Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie questions about clean XP install on Mini 9 - 03-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Hi there,

I'll get my Mini 9 on Monday and will likely do a clean XP install.
That's what I always did with my new computers, but with the Mini, 9, there are still some questions where I hope you can help me:

1. In which order should I install the drivers? Chipset first, I guess. But then?

2. Which Dell tools that are included in their original configuration should I install as well, that everything works properly? Something special for Bluetooth/Wlan? That Dell webchat software for the webcam? Dell Support tool?

3. Something I was wondering: everything I want to install on the Mini has to be transferred via USB, no matter if it's a memory stick or an external DVD drive. So I have to actually plug in something in the USB port before installing the chipset driver. Could that cause any trouble?
And: I know that I could create a nlite installation, but I'd like to avoid that, to be honest.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Newbie questions about clean XP install on Mini 9 - 03-28-2009, 12:13 PM

You can use the USB port right away - no problem. The chipset "driver" (really just a .inf file) is not required for basic functionality. You'll probably want the network and audio drivers first.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Newbie questions about clean XP install on Mini 9 - 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Also, Dell has a list of drivers, and the order in which to install them HERE. It's a generic list that covers most systems. I pretty much followed the same order they have, skipping over the ones I didn't need, which worked fine for me.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Newbie questions about clean XP install on Mini 9 - 03-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your answer.

So, I can't get anything corrupted in XP when I use my USB ports before installing the chipset drivers?

And do you know which of the Dell tools offered on their drivers/downloads site are necessary/useful as well?
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Newbie questions about clean XP install on Mini 9 - 03-28-2009, 07:37 PM

You won't corrupt anything by using the USB ports. You will want the Wireless Switch and Battery Meter applications, as well as the JMicron driver for the SD slot.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Hello and Help Needed | dell mini stops responding »