Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default 64 G SSD Question - 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM

I have a 64G SSD that was delivered about a month ago, but I don,t see it as an option on Dell's Web site. Is it still available? BTW.. I love the mini....2G RAM and 64G SSD Ubuntu

Great information on this board...I have learned a lot. Don.t hesitate trying Ubuntu...even for a non computer guy like me it is easy to operate and interesting to learn about. I have computer geek friends on "stand by" in case I need them..so far I haven't.

Cliff 8-)
  (#2) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-27-2009, 03:35 AM

It appears there is no 64GB option available right now. Maybe a shortage/discontinuing?

Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 160GB | 1GB RAM | 1.3 WC | A05 | OS X
  (#3) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Still an option as of this morning.

Suprolla

o Alpine White Mini 9 - 32GB Super Talent - 2GB RAM - Webcam - BT - Win8 CR - DELL BT Mouse - ATBATT extended battery - 10 hr battery life
o Chainlink Black Inspiron duo - 128GB Samsung SSD - 2GB RAM - Webcam - BT - GPS - Touchscreen - Accelerometer/magnetometer - Win 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks for checking, but 32 G is the maximum when I looked this morning at the dell web site. Perhaps you are in a different country than USA. Not a big deal, as mine has 64G and I was just curious as to why it is no longer offered.

Cliff
  (#5) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM

It's Dell's funny marketing, like how some mini 9's you can't get a 4gb option if you customise one for Windows and choose Linux instead. With this same config the 64gb is visible.

Suprolla

o Alpine White Mini 9 - 32GB Super Talent - 2GB RAM - Webcam - BT - Win8 CR - DELL BT Mouse - ATBATT extended battery - 10 hr battery life
o Chainlink Black Inspiron duo - 128GB Samsung SSD - 2GB RAM - Webcam - BT - GPS - Touchscreen - Accelerometer/magnetometer - Win 7 Home Premium
  (#6) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Make sure you guys are posting what regional site you are looking at

the US Dell site does not have the 64 gig drives
but the UK site does

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#7) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM

You're right, currently Dell has removed the option for a 64 GB SSD from the Ubuntu OS offering. In fact, they appear to have also eliminated the 4 GB offering in either XP or Ubuntu. In the case of both it could very well be a question of supply and demand - where consumers have overwhelmed their ability to deliver the supply of drives required for the foreseeable future (next 30-60 days perhaps) so rather than offer those options, they've opted to remove them for now.

Dell's configurations shift regularly so this could equally be a marketing effort where they realized they were losing cash because there was a huge demand by the modding community who purchased the cheapest SSD available (4 GB) and therefore they eliminated that option and increased the default purchase price for someone who intended to upgrade the drive.

It could be a number of reasons but I suspect supply issues :? are the reason for removing the availability of the 64 GB SSD and marketing decisions :shock: are the reason for removing the availability of the 4 GB SSD.

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1
  (#8) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-30-2009, 07:07 PM

Let me revise that thought. :lol:

It COULD be that Dell has sufficient supply on hand in their Lodz, Poland manufacturing site to cover the 4 GB and 64 GB demands and that they don't in the US.

But upon further examination, Dell is selling both 4 GB and 64 GB in Mexico and in Canada - right across the border in either direction North and South. From what I read, 95% or so of their laptops are manufactured in Xiamen, China and then shipped to the other local facilities in the US, Brazil, and Poland for customization (adding RAM, SSDs, etc). If they're selling 4 and 64 GB to Canada AND to Mexico then there's only one explanation for why they're not offering those options to US consumers. Because they believe they make more money not doing so. The Mini's that are shipped to Canada come from the same manufacturing facility as the ones that ship to the US. And I'll bet the ones going to Mexico come out of their Texas facilities as well.

I'm not sure what the population distribution is for contributors / visitors to this site (as admin, I'm sure Dunhamzz could say) but based on a quick review of the top contributors to the site it's probably 75% North America and 25% ROW. :?: Which would cause me to project that there's a larger population of mini modders in the US = greater demand.

That tells me it's highly likely that Dell's Mini 9 Product Manager is tweaking market offerings based on purchase behavior and expectations for how to best serve AND profit from the different markets. Dell did mention the Mini 3G configuration launch rather prominently in the Q3 10-K and analysts had questions about it in the Q4 FY09 Earnings call.
http://i.dell.com/sites/content/corp...Transcript.pdf

More power to Dell for working to segment their offerings but that said, I'm glad I picked up my Mini before they started down this route of improving margins as the product line matures.

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1
  (#9) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM

OK, last post on this question. If you go through the Dell.com/eppbuy site for US you can still configure a Ubuntu system with 8 - 64 GB SSDs. Final confirmation that they're limiting this for marketing reasons. :roll:

(#10) Old

Default Re: 64 G SSD Question - 03-30-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn-E
In fact, they appear to have also eliminated the 4 GB offering in either XP or Ubuntu.
I'm fairly certain that 4 GB drives were never an option on any XP config...

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*

« Help choosing the right mini | my hard disk is full, how do i get to it and make space!!! »