Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default restore to factory, no DVD - 03-25-2009, 05:24 AM

HI, I bought two of these and was going to give one to a new hire but it didn't work out. So I am going to sell it instead but I need to restore it to the factory default. How can this be done. I've done some searching and tried a few things but no luck. Anyone who can give me step by step? I would really appreciate it. I do have a USB drive and an external hard drive I can use if necessary. I tried the systems restore but it was not on and so there is nothing available from the beginning!
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: restore to factory, no DVD - 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM

I assume you have a stock (STEC) SSD from Dell and not a runcore....?

You could download ubuntu and setup a bootable USB stick...

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: restore to factory, no DVD - 03-25-2009, 08:12 PM

XP or Ubuntu?
regardless, why not just reinstall the OS fresh? Whether its the factory image or a clean reinstall shouldn't matter unless you are trying to pass it off as never used/unopened box. There are instructions here for restoring the xp image and here for Ubuntu. Too labor intensive for my lazy arse. A little more info would be helpful.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#4) Old

Default Re: restore to factory, no DVD - 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachin
HI, I bought two of these and was going to give one to a new hire but it didn't work out. So I am going to sell it instead but I need to restore it to the factory default. How can this be done. I've done some searching and tried a few things but no luck. Anyone who can give me step by step? I would really appreciate it. I do have a USB drive and an external hard drive I can use if necessary. I tried the systems restore but it was not on and so there is nothing available from the beginning!
If its Windows XP, you can obtain the System Restoration CDs from Dell. It ain't easy, and contrary to recent attempts by some, they ARE shipping them....at least as of this past Monday. Check this thread for more details:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/viewtopi...0e8359e#p45269

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: restore to factory, no DVD - 03-26-2009, 04:53 PM

The problem is that he doesn't have a USB CD/DVD drive to use. The contents of the CD can be copied to a USB hard drive but that won't make it bootable. There's probably a solution to that but I don't know what it is.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: restore to factory, no DVD - 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
The problem is that he doesn't have a USB CD/DVD drive to use. The contents of the CD can be copied to a USB hard drive but that won't make it bootable. There's probably a solution to that but I don't know what it is.
The first post in that thread shows how to put the 3 SRCD's onto a 2GB flash drive and boot from it.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#7) Old

Default 07-05-2009, 08:53 PM

I am also looking for a way to put the re-installation cd or recovery cd that came with my mini 10v on a usb stick and make it boot. I have been trying all day and I found this thread (How to: Re-image your Mini9 from Dells image for your system) and i got the usb bootable but i cant get it to run the restore.
  (#8) Old

Send a message via AIM to TchnclFl
Default 07-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Why can't you just format the thing and reinstall XP or a different Linux version? It's what I'd do..

« Question about 5530 WWAN card | want to change Linux OS, keep Dell partition »