Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Install Webcam Myself? - 03-25-2009, 03:57 AM

All,

I've searched these forums in search of an answer as to where to purchase the webcam unit and install it myself. I see one thread.

how-to-add-dell-oem-bluetooth-and-or-webcam-modules-t3213.html

It will cost me 46 dollars to purchase the parts according to that thread.

It also says that the BT module is 20 dollars there, when we all know you can get that for about 3 bucks if you shop the right places.

Has anyone successfully found/purchased or installed a webcam unit for less money than this? I got a GREAT deal on the mini but I had no idea it didn't have a camera at the time of ordering.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Install Webcam Myself? - 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM

The webcam and Bluetooth modules are parts designed to go inside the Mini. They are not generic USB devices such as the cheap BT you refer to. Note that for the webcam, you would need the webcam itself, the harness (sold separately) and probably a new display bezel with the holes for the lenses and activity LED. All doable, but will cost you. The BT module is pretty easy to retrofit, once you buy it,

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Install Webcam Myself? - 04-01-2009, 07:07 AM

The webcam install would require a major disassembly of the mini and is probably not worth your time with the costs and risks involved..

Obsidian black mini 9|32gb STEC ssd|2gb crucial ram| sleep working (usb legacy disabled in bios)|1.3 mp webcam (photobooth and everything is working out of the box)|250GB external cavalry HDD+time machine|bios A04

« old iPod as hard drive | OS X newb needs help »