Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default SDHC Memory Cards - 03-21-2009, 09:34 AM

After ordering the Mini 9, I started looking all over the internet for info on this thing. Somewhere I found a photo on where the SDHC card is supposed to go. I don't think it was the 3 in 1 card reader. I think it was an internal slot.

Does anyone know of a picture showing exactly where the SDHC card goes? I take it this would act as a "D" drive to the SSD "C" drive?

Side question. This is coming with Ubuntu installed. I have never used Ubuntu or Linux before. I don't know anything about it. Everytime I ask a question regarding Ubuntu, (other forums) I usually get a snotty answer that is way over my head. I don't even know what the command "sudu" is for. Open a command window. Right. How do I do that? There has got to be someplace for actual beginners to learn Ubuntu. Not just dropped in the ocean and sink or swim. I need a wading pool where I can slowly start learning this stuff without drowning. Is there anyplace like that?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: SDHC Memory Cards - 03-21-2009, 10:56 AM

The SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) card goes in the 3-in-1 card reader slot on the left of the Mini 9. It's labelled SD-MS/Pro-MMC. That's the same SD as in SDHC (the card reader can handle both normal SD and SDHC cards).

Make sure you unmount your SD card before removing it or you could experience data loss. In the Ubuntu which shipped with my Mini 9, there seems to be a file browser sort of program which lists all the media on the left; you can right click on the card there and select "Unmount" to do this.

I'm afraid I don't know of a good beginner's guide to Ubuntu. I thought the Ubuntu community was supposed to be pretty good about that sort of thing, though; have you tried checking out the Ubuntu website? Alternatively, O'Reilly Press makes excellent manuals, including introductory ones; they might have something useful. Or just play around; if you're not superuser (using 'su' or 'sudo' or typing in your password when prompted to do so for temporary administrator privileges in the GUI), you can't mess things up too badly. (Terminal is found under Accessories on my Dell/Ubuntu, btw)

Black Mini 9 | 4GB SSD | [s:1kutak77]512MB RAM[/s:1kutak77] | [s:1kutak77]Ubuntu[/s:1kutak77]
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB 533MHz DDR2 CL3-3-3-8
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: SDHC Memory Cards - 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Read this:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download3.html

It's a free PDF download.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default Re: SDHC Memory Cards - 03-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper