Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default My mini 9 just arrived - Now to the upgrades! - 03-19-2009, 04:18 AM

Hi there!

This is my first post so hi to everyone. Very excited as my mini 9 has just arrived!

So I have a list of things I'd like to do now and would love some insight on what else I should do:
  • Upgrade RAM to 2GB
    Upgrade SSD to Runcore 32 or 64GB - Just a tad unsure about this as noticed other users are having problems.
    Buy spare battery + charger - possibly an 8cell
    Decide to install either Windows 7 or OS X - might try with 7 first seeing I already have the iso.
    Sort out GPS (there seems to be a couple of ways of doing this, I might just get an external receiver as I don't fancy my chances modding the hardware :s)
    Download a set of handy portable apps and keep on a stick.
    Buy cable to connect to TV

What do you think? Any advice?

Anything else?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: My mini 9 just arrived - Now to the upgrades! - 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM

The RunCore SSD update is a must-have in my opinion.
You will need more than a cable for connecting to a TV (unless it has a VGA input)
2GB RAM is very helpful.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: My mini 9 just arrived - Now to the upgrades! - 03-20-2009, 01:43 AM

A case! Don't forget a case. I ended up with a DVD case from case logic from WalMart.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#4) Old

Default Re: My mini 9 just arrived - Now to the upgrades! - 03-20-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
The RunCore SSD update is a must-have in my opinion.
You will need more than a cable for connecting to a TV (unless it has a VGA input)
2GB RAM is very helpful.
Wow didn't realise the RunCore 64GB is half the price of the mini9 itself! Might have to wait til next month. ops:
But yes, off to get the 2GB RAM next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx
A case! Don't forget a case. I ended up with a DVD case from case logic from WalMart.
Yes! Just ordered one from ebay:

About the OS, I work with both PCs and Macs for different programs but at home I am a PC user. But seeing that the mini9 is so small? Why would anyone chose to install OS X over Windows 7? (Apart from "because I can" and "It looks cool") I mean I have read that they both run very well, but what would I have to consider when choosing which of the 2 OS to install?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: My mini 9 just arrived - Now to the upgrades! - 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninhabited
About the OS, I work with both PCs and Macs for different programs but at home I am a PC user. But seeing that the mini9 is so small? Why would anyone chose to install OS X over Windows 7? (Apart from "because I can" and "It looks cool") I mean I have read that they both run very well, but what would I have to consider when choosing which of the 2 OS to install?
I've been using apple computers exclusively at home for 10 years, and windows at work for much longer. It comes down to personal preference

That said, I put OS X on my mini right after I got it. For the type of computer using I do at home, I think OS X is the best choice. When I'm at work, we use XP which I think is the best choice..mostly because the rest of the world does.

« Newbie | can we have an "off topic" root thread? »