Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu or XP - 03-15-2009, 03:29 AM

Can somebody please advice on the factors I may need to consider in an XP vs Ubuntu decision? I'll be using the mini9 for WP/Spreadsheet/Powerpoint stuff, internet (surprise!), and playing movies.

tia, sani
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Ubuntu or XP - 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Either one will meet those needs. On XP, you have the choice of installing Microsoft Office for PowerPoint, which costs money, or OpenOffice which doesn't. On Ubuntu, you can use OpenOffice. I would say the deciding factor is how familiar you are with Linux, and if not very, how much time and effort are you willing to invest to try something different?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu or XP - 03-15-2009, 02:38 PM

I bought my Mini with XP and stayed with it for a while because it was the easiest choice. I got curious about Linux because of the large number of DellMini users that purchased systems with Linux and stayed there. I downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 and tried it without installing it on my SSD. One of the best features of Ubuntu (and many other Linux distributions) is the ability to boot and run from CD without installing to a local drive.
I thought Ubuntu was neat and wanted to learn more about it, so I spent time reading and learning, and then finally took the plunge to switch from Windows. The install was simple and painless, everything worked except sound. So I searched for "Dell Mini Ubuntu Audio" and found a guide. It took about 5 minutes to fix and everything was working. I think I expected to get tired of experimenting and return to Windows, but it has been a month and I am not going back. No viruses, no update hassles, no costs, and my system works better than when I had Windows. Whatever you do, don't let the Windows fan club members close your eyes. If you don't have an external CD, there are guides for installing Ubuntu on a thumb drive and trying it that way. Form your own opinion and choose what works best for you.

Lee

Black 2GB Memory, 16GB SSD, BT, 1.3 WebCam, Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu or XP - 03-15-2009, 03:56 PM

I ordered my mini a couple of days ago with XP. Primarily because I am familiar with XP and the special offered had no price break for Ubuntu. That being said I am still interested in learning the Linux system and what little bit I've read tells me it has some advantages.

Apparently it is doable to change to Ubuntu with minimal headache? My intentions are to use the machine for motorcycle traveling and staying in touch with friends during my travels and sending digital pics. I have no plans to install any special software packages.

Wayne
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu or XP - 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Either one will meet those needs. On XP, you have the choice of installing Microsoft Office for PowerPoint, which costs money, or OpenOffice which doesn't. On Ubuntu, you can use OpenOffice. I would say the deciding factor is how familiar you are with Linux, and if not very, how much time and effort are you willing to invest to try something different?
I ordered mine with Ubuntu to save a little $ and give the whole open-source thing a try. It's been less than a week and I can pretty much do what i want with it (Pigeon for IM, Skype for calling, Zimbra for email).

The only interoperability issue I've found with OpenOffice is that it isn't seamless in displaying my PowerPoint files. Some of the fonts didn't translate really well, got resized, etc, so I was hoping to use the mini as a work travel computer to display my customer presentations, but this isn't an option unless I find a way to make the fonts come through the same. Also, the animation in my files becomes choppy on the mini, which surprised me since it's not really heavy duty graphics.

If I went with XP/PowerPoint, I imagine the fonts would be fine, but am not sure whether the animation would still be choppy or not (i.e. whether it's a software translation thing or a processing horsepower thing).

I plan to stay with Ubuntu, or if I'm feeling rich later, I may get a 16GB SSD and try OS X out.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu or XP - 03-17-2009, 12:12 AM

Thanks for all the answers. I'm going with XP 'cause that's what I know...I used linux a little bit in college but the mini is going to be for my wifes school work, soooooo XP will be better for her. I had the perception, perhaps mistaken, that linux was 'better' than windoze. I will go with open office regardless of which os i choose.

sani
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu or XP - 03-18-2009, 02:24 AM

i guess my reply is a little late, as you've already made your decision... I decided to go with Unbuntu on my Mini, as it was a pretty significant cost savings... And for once, me being cheap has opened me up to something pretty great... Unbuntu on my Mini so far is running just fine, it boots quickly, it came with a bunch of free usefull software. It does what it's supposed to, and it's interface isn't all that much different, and is pretty easy to get around and figure out.

my mini is primarly a toy for me, something really portable to surf the web with, email, etc. so the work side of things never was a factor.

i did like the dell remix... it is very intuitive.. easy enough for my mom (nowhere even close to tech savvy, only started emailing a year or so ago) to use. I may even pick ony up to replace her 6 year old computer (although the screen maybe a little too small for her)...

« Boot-up times | 1.33 vs 1.6 »