Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Oh, yep. I'm plugged in. I've even tried safari.

Are you folks saying it is even not choppy even at full screen? Wow. Something must be wrong with my machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
He probably means connecting it to AC.

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#12) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 04:27 PM

I tried Hulu yesterday, running Windows 7. It's choppy.

Which is weird. I can run hockey highlights in video files that are really formatted for the iPod (they're 512x384, 60fps, x.264 encoded MP4s), and they run silky smooth, including full screen. I'm guessing it's a Flash issue.

Getting an iPad
  (#13) Old

Send a message via AIM to Cruleworld Send a message via MSN to Cruleworld
Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Hulu streams perfectly even in the highres full screen for me. I don't know what the difference is.

(#14) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Cable broadband
Have you tried power-cycling the modem or changing your IP address? Sometimes those things help, though your problem sounds more innate that it does circumstantial.
  (#15) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM

I just tried watching an episode of Family Guy, in browser, full screen, low and high res, connected via ethernet and wireless. There was some stuttering during the 2min movie preview, and some during the opening credits, but the episode for the most part played back just fine, except on wireless, where there was occasional dropped frames or stuttering.

This was running off battery, not AC.

Watching another episode with the AC hooked up, so far it's been perfect full-screen.

Getting an iPad
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 07:01 PM

After scanning this forum completely it seems some folks have choppy video playback, and others don't at all. Assuming that 50% of the units are not defective, I'd give my right arm if I could figure out what the cause is.

I'm plugged in, AC and Ethernet... and it it virtually unwatchable in a browser window, let alone at full screen. Maybe I should send this back and hope I get one that isn't choppy.

Sorry, I know I sound horsey, I'm just bummed that I'm not one of those can report "perfect" playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld
Hulu streams perfectly even in the highres full screen for me. I don't know what the difference is.

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-15-2009, 11:46 PM

I just tried Hulu and it worked fine fullscreen on battery and wifi. Xp Home/8gb ssd/2gb ram. Firefox modified to cache to a ramdisk.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-16-2009, 12:46 AM

"...modify to cache to ramdisk..."

Not sure I understand what that means or how to do it, but I'll stand on my head and sing 'Oh Danny Boy' to get streaming flash video to work on this Mini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandHeld
I just tried Hulu and it worked fine fullscreen on battery and wifi. Xp Home/8gb ssd/2gb ram. Firefox modified to cache to a ramdisk.

(#19) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-16-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwbr
After scanning this forum completely it seems some folks have choppy video playback, and others don't at all. Assuming that 50% of the units are not defective, I'd give my right arm if I could figure out what the cause is.

I'm plugged in, AC and Ethernet... and it it virtually unwatchable in a browser window, let alone at full screen. Maybe I should send this back and hope I get one that isn't choppy.

Sorry, I know I sound horsey, I'm just bummed that I'm not one of those can report "perfect" playback.
I certainly wish you luck if you decide to try this, but I would not hold my breath expecting Dell to go along. The fact that a few applications will not run satisfactorily does not usually satisfy a manufacturers requirement that a product be faulty. But again - I wish you luck. Certainly can't hurt to try.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Video STILL Choppy - 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm still within my 15 days. I thought that was the return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster

I certainly wish you luck if you decide to try this, but I would not hold my breath expecting Dell to go along. The fact that a few applications will not run satisfactorily does not usually satisfy a manufacturers requirement that a product be faulty. But again - I wish you luck. Certainly can't hurt to try.

« Is now a good time to buy? | Installing fonts into Ubuntu »