Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Another Noob - 03-11-2009, 03:37 AM

Should have my Mini 9 in my hands tomorrow. Ordered from the outlet. Obsidian Black, WinXP, 1G, 8G SSD, 1.3MP camera. Can't wait to see the looks on my co-workers faces when I pull out my tiny computer (had it shipped to the office).

I browsed the netbooks at Circuit City in preparation for getting my wife's buy-in on it. She thought they were pretty cool, maybe something that would work in the kitchen. I pointed out that with my existing USB GPS unit and software (Streets and Trips 2009 arrived today from Dell's electronics store) it would make a pretty nice in-vehicle GPS. I was at a loss after that for really practical uses. :-)

Anyway, after I told her I pulled the trigger on the Mini, she started making plans for what she was going to do with our (?) computer. Sigh.

So, seeing how Sunday (when I ordered my Mini) was our anniversary, and she sounds pretty hip on the unit, I just pulled the trigger again. Her Alpine White Mini 9 (same specs) should be here by the weekend if all goes well. At least with her unit, I obtained a 15% off coupon code (thanks to the coupon code thread here), putting hers at $203 plus tax (mine was $239 - 2% discount for using my DFS card).

So, if I have to pose a question (this is the questions forum, after all) - anyone know why the XP units with only 512 MB go for more than the 1 Gig units in the outlet? Thought that rather strange.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM

The only thing I can imagine is if they don't sell a 512m XP mini now and there has been a price drop. So if the mini's were there prior to the price drop and discounted at that time then I can see where it is possible that those machines would cost more than currently added 1g XP machines. Don't know if this is reality but this is my thought on it!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-11-2009, 11:59 PM

That theory makes sense. May have been there forever and nobody has thought to discount them to move them out.

BTW, typing this on my new Mini! The folks at the office were impressed. One gal decided to buy one (or possibly a Mini 10) for her husband's birthday coming up in May. He does a lot of forum and news stuff when they travel and she gets tired of carrying two full size laptops around with his light use.

The wife's mini should be here tomorrow. Still a surprise for her. She hasn't gotten her hands on this one yet.

Oh, only problem I thought I had with mine was that after two hours out of the box on the charger, the battery was not taking a charge. After another 45 minutes at home, still no dice. Thought I had a bum battery. Got on Dell's live chat support on the Mini and while they were troubleshooting, the battery indicator finally started showing it taking a charge. By midafternoon, it was up to a full 100%.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-12-2009, 12:12 AM

That's crazy about the charging thing. I would keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesn't have anymore of these "hiccups". It's amazing how people fall instantly in love with these computers. I am in a bootcamp right now getting my MCSA and MCSE and the guy behind me started looking at the Dell outlet the first day of class. He is just waiting for one to pop up with a 32G SSD. Go figure!

-WarMachine
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-13-2009, 03:29 AM

"So, if I have to pose a question (this is the questions forum, after all) - anyone know why the XP units with only 512 MB go for more than the 1 Gig units in the outlet? Thought that rather strange."

Are we talking XP in both cases? Were there any differences, such as SSD size, Operating Systems, bluetooth, camera, wireless, color, etc.?

One has to look at all the variables, and make sure one is comparing apples to apples, as it makes a difference.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-13-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin
Are we talking XP in both cases? Were there any differences, such as SSD size, Operating Systems, bluetooth, camera, wireless, color, etc.?

One has to look at all the variables, and make sure one is comparing apples to apples, as it makes a difference.
XP in both cases. Just pulled up some specs and it appears the differentiating factor was the inclusion of a WAN Card Slot and, in most cases, the absence of a camera. Thought they all had WAN card slots, but haven't had mine apart yet to look.

My wife's Mini arrived today with a nearly fully charged battery. XP had a small page file already (mine had 2G after setup) and hibernation turned off by default (mine was on).
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM

Were both computers purchased from Dell and both Mini 9's? That is crazy for them ship with different configurations. Dell isn't exactly in the XP business. It's just a software package that they blast to each computer. Furthermore, I would make sure hibernation is turned off and I would check the page file. The default for Microsoft is 1.5 - 3 times the amount of ram in the system. It is possible and sometimes wanted to disable the page file in systems that have 2G and above in ram. I haven't turned off mine in my mini because I am not concerned about the extra space that I am using. If you do turn off page file then I would monitor your ram usage (maybe turn on auditing for memory) for several days to ensure you aren't maxing your ram.

-WarMachine
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-14-2009, 01:13 AM

Both Mini 9's, both from the outlet within two days of each other, same exact specs except hers is white, mine black. Yeah, that struck me as odd that two different configs ended up out of the deal. Yeah, I have hibernation off, set page file to like 256Meg, just in case, but I haven't seen much more than about 400M of the 1G memory in use in Task Manager at any time yet.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Another Noob - 03-14-2009, 02:47 AM

no clue on that one. very strange!

-WarMachine

« New Mini 9 on the way $179 from Dell Outlet | Just joined the Mini 9 club »