Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hello and a little help choosing my mini please - 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Hey everyone,

what a great active community there is here!

I am looking at getting mini 9 because I want something for internet use and a small bit of writing and an e-reader without the weight of my macbook or hassl of my windows desktop.

I dont want to invest too much money it, but at the same time I am willing to invest more to get exactly what I need.

I have a few questions.

Is the basic 4gb model with Ubuntu adequate enough for this sort of use?

Should I go for more memory and storage capacity?

I am tempted to install osx on it, I understand this needs more storage, but for what I need to do I need to go this route or will ubuntu be adequate for this?

NOt even sure if you can get pdf/reader/cbr viewers on linux?

Any advice before I choose greatly appreciated
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Hello and a little help choosing my mini please - 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM

Welcome to the community

The ubuntu model will sure be able to handle pdfs + other e-book formats, there are applications for anything in linux!

It is extremely easy to upgrade RAM + SSD later on, but not as easy to add other things like webcam, bluetooth etc with having to get part numbers, opening your mini right up, etc.

So just make sure the model you get has all the features built into it you need regardless of RAM/SSD as you can always add them on later on.

Hope this helps.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« expand or re-partition flash drive after dell diagnostic? | New to site, thanks for the great resource! »