Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Handling e-mail... - 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Hello all. I searched (really I did) and did not find an answer, I'm looking for some thoughts on how to handle e-mail on my Mini-9.

In short, my home laptop is my "master" e-mail client using Outlook 2003. I'm like to have full e-mail functionality on my Mini using Outlook 2003, but I want to use it as a "slave" and not have it over-ride my home e-mail. (Make sense?)

I don't want to deal with a web client, so I'm guessing I'd just set up my Mini's Outlook to "Leave mail on server"? Is that the best way to handle this or do one of the many gurus here have a better, more efficient/streamlined option for me? if so, how long should I say it stay on the server - a day or so? I'm guessing I'd have to do use the same setting on the "master" so I can get mail on the mini. OK, I'm getting myself confused -- maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Webwbr

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM

I assume from the tone of your question that you are using POP to access your email. The best way to approach the problem would be to use imap, but that may not be an option offered by your email provider.

If you can't use imap, you described the next-best thing... only the "master" email client should remove messages from the server, any other client(s) should leave it out there. The potential problem with this is if you leave the "master" running while you head off somewhere with your Mini9... every time the master polls your email server, it would remove the messages it finds and if you login from starbuck's or grandma's house with the Mini9, it won't find any email.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Not having my mini yet, but having worked with many systems set up that way, it should work fine. You want to set outlook up on both systems with "leave mail on server", and you can set whatever you wish as the time limit to delete the mail. I don't think 1 day is enough time - on my own laptop/desktop set-up I have it set up for 5 days.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen617
Not having my mini yet, but having worked with many systems set up that way, it should work fine. You want to set outlook up on both systems with "leave mail on server", and you can set whatever you wish as the time limit to delete the mail. I don't think 1 day is enough time - on my own laptop/desktop set-up I have it set up for 5 days.
Yup ...+1
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Great feedback folks, thanks.

I'll look into IMAP, but my guess is I have POP only... looks like plan "b" and set the clients to leave mail on server for five days.

Appreciate the responses.

Regards,

Webwbr

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM

OK, I can't seem to get this strategy to work with g-mail... I set up g-mail as POP on my Outlook on the master laptop and on my Mini -- both with "leave messages on server" which it always did anyway. But whichever laptop retrieved the e-mail first is the only one that gets it.

Any thoughts?
:?:

(#7) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-11-2009, 04:08 PM

gmail provides IMAP, you should use IMAP. You have to be sure to configure the machines to sync all messages, not just new ones, or the 2nd machine will see a message read by the first machine as old and not bother with it.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Well I am going to put the ball back in your court. You can use IMAP if you choose to do so. One thing about IMAP is that your stuff stays on the server and saves space on your mini. On your main laptop it appears that you don't care one way or another. I would suggest leaving your main laptop as is. For your mini I would set it for IMAP. In order for you to setup IMAP on your mini you can find specific instructions on gmail. Just log into your gmail email account, click settings (top right hand corner next to your email address), then click on the "forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. There you will see options to enable and disable the services and in each section you can click on configuration and then in there you will see the links for the different programs.

I hope that helps. If there is anything else that I can help you with I will do my best.

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Handling e-mail... - 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM

I think you and GearheadGeek are on the right track, I just set this up and don't care for it much, but I can leave the home laptop as gmail pop and the mini as gmail imap. What I don't like is what you said, it shows deleted messages on my mini. It also doesn't put the mail in the main inbox like POP does and the spam folder syncs over too.

I may forgo the gamil account in the Mini's Outlook (just use the browser) and find another option for my main POP account - which i don't think they use IMAP.

Life is complicated with two laptops!

Thanks again everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Well I am going to put the ball back in your court. You can use IMAP if you choose to do so. One thing about IMAP is that your stuff stays on the server and saves space on your mini. On your main laptop it appears that you don't care one way or another. I would suggest leaving your main laptop as is. For your mini I would set it for IMAP. In order for you to setup IMAP on your mini you can find specific instructions on gmail. Just log into your gmail email account, click settings (top right hand corner next to your email address), then click on the "forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. There you will see options to enable and disable the services and in each section you can click on configuration and then in there you will see the links for the different programs.

I hope that helps. If there is anything else that I can help you with I will do my best.

« Just about to buy my mini | Login User and Password »