Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mac OS - 03-07-2009, 10:39 PM

I ordered my Dell Mini 9 for $210 new with a .3MP webcam added about a week ago.

Is it possible to install any version of Mac OS on the 4GB SSD? I don't want to upgrade the SSD.

I've noticed that the requirement is only 1.5-3GB for certain versions and I can buy a SDHC card for my personal data.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM

4GB sounds pretty impossible to me, but I don't use OS X often. I would think the best option for you would be to buy a 8GB or 16GB USB flash drive, then you could boot OS X from that without having to install an HD. You can get 8GB for as cheap as $15.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 03-08-2009, 03:39 PM

People are having problems installing osx on the 8gig drive and you think you'll get away with half that?
No, no, no.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Mac OS - 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergibb
I ordered my Dell Mini 9 for $210 new with a .3MP webcam added about a week ago.

Is it possible to install any version of Mac OS on the 4GB SSD? I don't want to upgrade the SSD.
Since the only version supported here is a retail Leopard install, here's the specs from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

Note the 9GB disk space requirement. As the previous poster mentioned, you can do it on a 8GB SSD, but it will take work.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM

Would it be possible to do it on an SDHC or USB flash drive and still have it run quickly? Also, would an older version of Mac OS work?

My mini just shipped 2 week ahead of schedule .
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Mac Os X Tiger requires 3GB.. does anyone know if that'll work properly with a retail copy?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM

After repartitioning my 16G SSD as a single Mac OS extended (journaled) partition using the GUID option, I had slightly less than 14G of usable space. After Installing a retail version of Loepard I had only ~350 MB of available space! I used the usual tricks (e.g. xslimmer, monolingual, uninstalling fluff apps) and got it up to 3.5 G. But the apple software update needed over 4 G to complete. I downloaded a trial copy of whatsize and noticed that /Library/Printers/Canon was over 1G! Assuming that printer files are only necessary for printers that you actually want to install on your system, I removed the entire contents of the Canon subdir. That got me over the hump and I haven't noticed any side affects of removing Canon Subdir.

Interestingly, at the end of the install/upgrade process, the disk usage had shrunk to about 7G-much less than even the slimmed version of the install from the retail disk.

Nutshell: While it might be possible in some universe to install leopard on an 8G drive, it's not something I'd be anxious to try.

Dell Mini 9 | 32G Runcore SSD | 2G RAM | OS X 10.5.7 | Stock 16G SSD with OS X 10.5.6 as a fallback
Macbook Pro unibody | OS X 10.5.7 | Parallels v4 | Vista Ultimate
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 04-09-2009, 02:51 PM

I got Leopard on my 8 gig hard drive with about 1.5 GB of space left. Not real easy to do but not real hard either
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Mac OS - 04-11-2009, 12:54 AM

How much space does OSX *really* take up?

I accidentally bought 2 Mini 9's, so I need to decide between the following units:

1) Cherry Red with a 16GB SSD/1GB RAM ($240.16 shipped)
2) Onyx Black with a 8GB SSD/512MB RAM ($202.94 shipped)

I plan on upgrading to 2GB of RAM for either system, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I should go with the black unit and get the 32GB SuperTalent SSD, or if the 16GB unit will be big enough.

I definitely want OSX, and I proooobably want to have either Adobe Photoshop (500MB) or Adobe Illustrator (733MB) on there. Am I gonna be disappointed with 16GB?

Black Mini 9, 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB of RAM, OSX 10.5.6

« Netbook junkie | Help me decide which system to keep! (for OSX install) »