Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New to Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu - 03-07-2009, 05:39 PM

My work as a photographer occasionally results in some nice acquisitions. We recently did a bunch of work with several small laptops. At the end of the shoot the client, rather than return the props, divided the spoils amongst the crew. As I already had an MSI Wind hotrod netbook, I opted for the Dell Mini 9 in Ubuntu. I have a RAM upgrade on the way as well as a larger RunCore SSD (which may well take a long time to arrive, from what I understand), but my issue is that during the shoot someone intialized the Dell with a fake username and administrative password and I can't figure out what it is and how to change it. Do I have to reinstall the system software from the recovery disk to make it mine and assign a new password or is there some other way to start fresh? There isn't a lot on it, but I was mostly curious. Other than that, I am counting my blessings and the glass is most definitely half full.

Thanks. I have been lurking on this forum for a few days and this is my first posting.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: New to Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu - 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Try googling for: reset ubuntu sudo password
One possibly helpful result:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Although you may want to reimage from the recovery CD (assuming you have an external CD drive or can follow the USB install methods) just so you are starting from a clean slate, since you dont know what is running on that system or how it is configured.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: New to Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu - 03-07-2009, 08:06 PM

This may not be immensely helpful, but I believe you ordered a RunCore SSD not a "Runtime" SSD. Just thought I'd point that out.

Nick

Macbook Pro 15" (4.1) - Running Ubuntu 8.10 in a VM
Mini 9 - Black, 4GB, 512MB, Ubuntu, no accessories
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New to Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu - 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM

I'd like to figure out a way to load the Ubuntu OS (distribution, is that the right word?) on a USB stick for eventual reinstallation. Can anyone point me to a tutorial suitable for an Ubuntu noob whose other machines are Macs? ops:
  (#5) Old

Default Re: New to Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu - 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Do you want changes to be persistant? You can set thumb drives up to be bootable with "unetbootin" but I also think you can install to a thumb drive and keep changes going on the thumb drive but I'm not to sure This is still just a base installation? You can get the ubuntu Iso for free, and any changes dell made will have to be freely available per the gpl i believe. I already got the recovery iso from a torrent so I didnt look into the legal channels.

If you want to make a copy of your current OS you could maybe boot up with a thumb drive and then use dd or rescuedd or some other clone tools to copy everything over to a second thumb drive.

obsidian black 1.3mp webcam, BT, 2GB RAM 32GB Buffalo dualbooting windows 7 build 7077 and ubuntu 9.04UNR

« Well I did it...now what | Boot-up times »