Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default More Noob-ness - 03-07-2009, 05:05 PM

This board is really an excellent resource for these lil mini's !
Thanks to all who post their experiences.

Like several other posters...
I am searching the Outlet for a mini9. Cannot seem to find one over 8gb HD.
I have put a new unit in my wishlist at Dell: can get 16GB for 339 w/ XP.
Really don't want to wait for a build... have been waiting a month for a desktop build, but that is another story...
What I wish to do is add the Garmin GPS 20x ( I really don't want to tear into the mini and solder in a GPS).
Also, I have put the 2gb ram into my wishlist also.
So I am thinking of just orderring from the outlet, w 8gb, XP, and adding the 2 gb RAM.
WIll an 8gb ssd suffice ?
Could not find any SSDs on the Dell site That would work.
Any suggestions appreciated

John,
Norman, OK

Mini9
8Gb STEC SSD
2GB RAM
XP
  (#2) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM

One thing to consider is that the WWAN card in the mini9 is supposed to be usable as a GPS.

That would put the GPS inside your mini9.
Take a look at this thread (and over in the 3G Mobility forum) http://mydellmini.com/forum/dell-min...gps-t2354.html

The caveat I'll make is that I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know if it the system needs a SIM card, or the WWAN card needs to be activated before it will work (hopefully someone else will chime in ).

If you DO go this route you can usually sort by price to find the Outlet systems with WWAN cards (they'll be ~350-450), I'd then expect to buy the RAM and SSD from a third party since they are easy to replace pieces.

2 GB RAM is ~20$-30$ (depending on where you buy it).
When you order your 16GB SSD, make sure its made for a Dell Mini9, the SSD slot is shorter than some other netbooks so SSDs for other netbooks won't usually fit.

I found my mini in the Outlet for ~415 w/WWAN, 512MB RAM, 8GB HD, 1.3MP WebCam, BlueTooth, Cherry Red Case, WinXP. To order it new without the WWAN card (and slots, antennas, etc.) would have been ~50$ cheaper, so, if I can get the WWAN card working, then I've put a GPS inside the mini for ~50$ (which to me made it worth it).

I ordered a 2GB RAM chip from Crucial (since I've had good luck with them in the past ), and I put in an order for a bigger SSD from My Digital Discount http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/Home.jsp but their processing times are rather long (check the hardware forum), so I can't really recommend or not recommend them.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#3) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM

IThanks for the reply.
I read that thread... I am confused I think.
My understanding is that without a wwan card, you cannot access gps. Am I wrong on that, - is gps accessable with a card slot, but no card?)
Will not subsrcibe to ATT 3g option - so that is not an option for me.
I really appreciate your efforts to assist.
I did find one or two on the outlet with the slot, and thre is currently one with the att card (that one is $389).

Mini9
8Gb STEC SSD
2GB RAM
XP
  (#4) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJohn
IThanks for the reply.
My understanding is that without a wwan card, you cannot access gps. Am I wrong on that, - is gps accessable with a card slot, but no card?)
I did find one or two on the outlet with the slot, and thre is currently one with the att card (that one is $389).
My experience has been similar - the last 3 days there hasn't been a single mini9 with a 16gb drive and less than 1gb memory except a pink one - and that just won't do

I don't understand Dells pricing in the outlet at all. There were a bunch of units last night with 8gb drives and 1gb of ram and webcam priced at $239. Then there were a few other 4gb units with 512mb of ram and NO webcam for $279 bucks. $40 more for less? How's that work?

Whatever, I will be using the mini gps antenna I got with streets & trips, along with the software and the port emulator I currently use on my Inspiron 2650 boat anchor which we be donated when I either get a mini9 or an Acer One if Dell doesn't get their act together.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Amen Brewster!
I would like to find an 8g xp with 512ram.
Every one I can see has an 8g hd, and 1g ram.
With or without webcam, $239.
Reason is - I am going to buy a 2gb ram anyway, so why pitch a 1 gig unit?
FOUND one - but it has a wwan slot, and is priced at 279 on the outlet (no webcam).
$40 extra for the wwan slot.
dell is goofy, for sure.

Mini9
8Gb STEC SSD
2GB RAM
XP
  (#6) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-08-2009, 01:37 AM

I got a great deal at the outlet on Friday morning - at 5:30 am EST. I have been wanting to purchase a mini, and had waited for a coupon (which comes out once a month on Thursdays from what I can see). Nothing on Thursday looked special, so since the coupon is good till the 11th I figured I would just wait and see what Dell put through in on restock. I just happened to be up early, coupon in hand, and decided to look at outlet stock. They had put a huge new inventory in the outlet during the night, and I found a 32GB XP unit with a 1.3 webcam and 1GB ram, obsidian black, for $279, net of $247 delivered after the coupon. I jumped on it immediately and it's been shipped already.

My point it - keep checking the outlet at odd hours if you are up - I would guess that about the same time on Monday morning they will restock again with whatever is in the warehouse and you might get lucky. When I bought this unit there were at least twenty 16GB units in stock as well, although this was the only 32GB. The pricing was all over the map, seriously sometimes it doesn't make much sense, why would a 32GB unit be listed only $40.00 more than an 8GB unit with all other specs the same? But who am I to question Dell. This is my first mini but my 4th Dell outlet purchase - all have been excellent experiences, basically new units, and I recommend purchasing this way to anybody who will listen.

Good luck!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-08-2009, 04:49 AM

I snagged one @ $239 this afternoon - I hope.
:lol:
There site is sorta screwed up, first the orderdid not show in my saved cart, then it did.
I completed the transaction and received email, so I guess it will happe, though my confidence in DELL - their website and service(s) is not very high at the moment.
Also ordered the 2gb ram on the side. Will possibly get a larger sdd or add-on a sdhc card in the not-too-distant-future.

Mini9
8Gb STEC SSD
2GB RAM
XP
  (#8) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-08-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJohn
IThanks for the reply.
Having a card WWAN card does not mean subscribing to AT&T, you just need a card (and associated equipment) if you WANT to subscribe to AT&T (or someone else if you swap out the card).

I don't plan on subscribing to AT&T either, but I believe the card can also do GPS even without a subscription (but since I don't have mine yet, I can't verify that).

Edit: Got my mini over the weekend. Installed EarthBridge on the native WinXP Home installation and used the HyperTerminal method to turn the GPS on. Got an intermittent lock while driving with the wife to the grocery store. Don't have AT&T service, and probably won't until the rates drop a lot, so yes, all you need is the WWAN card and all its "stuff" (antennas, SIM card, etc.).

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#9) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM

OK I was right in my forecast - around 6:15 am EST today the outlet was stocked with some "non-standard" configurations, including a 64MB 2GB Ubunto unit with no webcam for 319, and a cherry red 4GB 512MB Ubunto with a webcam for 179. (Even tho I have no need for another mini right now I have to admit I was tempted by that one as an upgrade machine!) Another check at around 7:30 am EST showed a 32GB 1MB Ubunto, no webcam, for a bargain 259. Both times there were at least 10 16MB units ranging in price from 239 to 369 depending on configuration. So, my advice stands - if you want a different configuration you need to set your alarm clock and look early in the morning EST. Good luck!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-09-2009, 07:23 PM

Crap ... where do you guys find these coupons? I go to the outlet page a few times a day and have never found one.

I tried at 300am the other day and found (again) nothing larger than 8gb and 1gb ram. I unfortunately need XP because most of my critical apps won't run on anything else.

« Just got my Mini! What a little beast! Outlet is great! | Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP »