Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Crap ... where do you guys find these coupons? I go to the outlet page a few times a day and have never found one.

I tried at 300am the other day and found (again) nothing larger than 8gb and 1gb ram. I unfortunately need XP because most of my critical apps won't run on anything else.
If you're looking for XP you won't find anything bigger than 1GB RAM. Its a limitation based on the sale of XP with the mini (its a license for a "low power PC" or something like that). You also won't find the biggest hard-drive options for the same reason.

On the plus side, RAM is cheap (~20-30$ depending on the source), and there are at least a few places selling replacement SSDs. If you get an XP model you can always re-install XP on a new SSD after you put more RAM into it.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#12) Old

Default Re: More Noob-ness - 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Crap ... where do you guys find these coupons? I go to the outlet page a few times a day and have never found one.

I tried at 300am the other day and found (again) nothing larger than 8gb and 1gb ram. I unfortunately need XP because most of my critical apps won't run on anything else.
If you're looking for XP you won't find anything bigger than 1GB RAM. Its a limitation based on the sale of XP with the mini (its a license for a "low power PC" or something like that). You also won't find the biggest hard-drive options for the same reason.

On the plus side, RAM is cheap (~20-30$ depending on the source), and there are at least a few places selling replacement SSDs. If you get an XP model you can always re-install XP on a new SSD after you put more RAM into it.
I don't want more than 1gb from Dell - I'd prefer 512 and get a better deal from Newegg on a 2gb module.

« Just got my Mini! What a little beast! Outlet is great! | Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP »