Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell folder opens at startup - 03-07-2009, 01:47 PM

When I open windows, a folder marked 'dell' which contains a folder called 'BAE' opens up. In the details it is described as beinf a compressed folder, and when I click on it a warning comes up saying that I am 'attempting to open a file of type'application extention' (.dll)' And that editing or modifying might damage my system....

I want to get rid of this file opening every time I start windows but don't want to mess my computer up...

Does anyone know how I can deal with this?

Help!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell folder opens at startup - 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM

What OS are you using?

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell folder opens at startup - 03-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
What OS are you using?
Clue #1: "When I open windows..."
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell folder opens at startup - 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Ahahahaha, I am dumb! Thanks for enlightening me Capt Obvious. Well then, in that case, I would definitely check the start>all programs>startup and see if it is in there. If it is not you can type "msconfig" in run. Then go to the startup tab and see if you see anything out of the ordinary there. Be cautious there as you might uncheck something that you might want to startup during install. The good thing about that is after startup, if you unchecked something that you want checked, you can just go back in there and recheck it. You can also go to the boot.ini tab, select the advanced button and increase the memory bootup usage to max memory so that you can increase your boot speed. That is of course if you want to.

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell folder opens at startup - 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Google found this one in a second - you have yourself a virus/trojan there. Take a look at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102...sageID=2219266

The gist of it is:
Quote:
The process BAE.dll belongs to the software Browser Address Error Redirector by Dell Inc (www.dell.com) or Gateway Inc.

Description: BAE.dll is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" or sometimes in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows XP is 94208 bytes.
This .dll file is a Browser Helper Object (BHO) that runs automatically every time you start your Internet browser. BHOs are not stopped by personal firewalls, because they are identified by the firewall as your browser itself. BHOs are often used by adware and spyware. The unique ID of this BHO is CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777. The program is not visible. It is able to monitor Internet browser. It is not a Windows core file. Therefore the technical security rating is 58% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as BAE.dll, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the BAE.dll process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

« Mouse responsiveness | Just got my Mini! What a little beast! Outlet is great! »