Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Just bought a Mini 9 - 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM

After months of watching the development of these little netbooks I finally decided to jump into the ring.

I started considering a netbook when HP relased the 2133, but the Via C7 CPU didn't turn me on so I waited. The micro keyboards on the Asus netbooks were also a big turnoff.

Being a gadget hobbyist like most of you I decided to pick up a refurb off the outlet and customize it to my liking.

I bought a refurb cherry red mini 9 with a 4GB SSD and 512 RAM and Ubuntu for 179.00. Decided on this one since it had the bluetooth included.

Upgrades Ordered:
2GB G.SKill 4-4-4-12 Ram Module from NewEgg
Runcore 32GB SSD
8GB SHDC Card

I plan on installing XP Pro SP3 on the machine and using nlite to trim down the install. This isn't something I have done before so it will be interesting to try.

Thanks to all those who have posted so much info in these forums. It made my decision to purchase and customize a mini 9 much easier

Mi Mini: Cherry Red: 64GB Runcore: 2GB RAM: XP PRO
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Just bought a Mini 9 - 03-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Just bought a Mini 9 - 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Bought it on Wednesday and it just showed up!

Initial impression is that Ubuntu is pretty nice. I may end up just imaging the drive over to the runcore 32 when I get it.

Dell outlet ships quick.. 2 days on standard shipping.

(#4) Old

Default Re: Just bought a Mini 9 - 03-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Got my memory and installed it... no issues.

Although I'm not sure I'm going to install it yet I am in the process of creating a boot cd via nlite for XP SP3.

One question... If I keep Ubuntu should I just recomplile the kernel for mem support or are there other advantages of doing a fresh install of the full Ubunto?

Thanks in advance.

I'm really enjoying the mini by the way. I think it is important to have reasonable expectations for the performance of these little netbooks. I am looking forward to dropping in the 32GB Runcore when I get it.

« What to Buy First...? | What difference is OS X install on ubuntu mini 9? »