Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP - 03-06-2009, 05:51 AM

There is a hidden partition on my 8GB SSD. MY OS is Win XP Home. Can this hidden partition be used to restore the system to it's initial state?
If not, what is it's purpose, and is there any way to reclaim it?
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP - 03-06-2009, 06:03 AM

That should be the Dell diagnostics partition.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP - 03-09-2009, 02:55 AM

I've an Inspiron 8500 and I upgraded the hard drive in it awhile ago. I noticed the same thing. It is a partition dedicated to Dell's diagnostic tools. You don't really need it and the system will run fine without it. Claim it if you need it, IMO.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP - 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfool
I've an Inspiron 8500 and I upgraded the hard drive in it awhile ago. I noticed the same thing. It is a partition dedicated to Dell's diagnostic tools. You don't really need it and the system will run fine without it. Claim it if you need it, IMO.
Are you sure it's a diagnostics partition and not the system restore partition? I don't have a mini yet, but my Dell Inspiron 2650 has a hidden partition dedicated to the restore function. I just deleted it and expanded the system partition.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP - 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfool
Are you sure it's a diagnostics partition and not the system restore partition? I don't have a mini yet, but my Dell Inspiron 2650 has a hidden partition dedicated to the restore function. I just deleted it and expanded the system partition.
100% sure that the hidden FAT16 partition at the beginning of the SSD is the Dell Diagnositics only, not restore.

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linu ... ility.aspx

If you lose the ability to select the Diagnostics option from the boot menu accessed by pressing '0' during boot-up, you can restore this hidden partition by downloading the above to create a DOS bootable USB that you can then boot from and select option#4 then option#3. Note that in order to boot from USB, USB legacy support has to be enabled in the advanced setting of BIOS and that restoring this hidden FAT16 partition erases the SSD forcing you to reinstall your OS...

(#6) Old

Default Re: Hidden Partition on Mini 9 with XP - 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM

Okay - fair enough

« More Noob-ness | Realtek Audio driver »