Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM

OK, so I have been reading the posts and see the reasoning behind these two apps ( free up space on SSD ) but what I have not seen here is the reason to use either.

What I mean is, why not just customize the OS X install to not include the extraneous languages, printer drivers, etc.?

My install on my MBP 15" only takes up about 4.5 GB rather than 12 when I do this.

Can anyone point me to a post, or shed some light on this please? looking for as much info as I can before my mini9 arrives.

thanks.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM

I might be wrong, but I believe in the customize menu you don't have the option to remove all the PPC compiled applications, which the two of them can do. And they'll do that for any applications you install, not just the OS.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM

jhoff80 is correct. Also, the process of going into every app and removing the language files alone, is rather tedious... never mind any associated preferences, extensions etc. These apps do not remove all the speech files, or hibernate file,. You do that manually

Mini9, 2Gb, 8Gb SSD, 16Gb SDHC, SL 10.6.3, Sound fix without Voodoo, Bluetooth Mod, NBI 0.8.4
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM

What you are talking about is a custom initial installation of Mac OS X. With that, you can choose to install printer drivers, languages, fonts, etc.

The basic function of these applications is to slim down to the parts your specific system needs to run it.

For example, there are PPC Macs (G3, G4, G5 64-bit) and Intel Macs (CoreDue, Core2Duo, etc). There are things called "Universal Binaries," applications that can run on both Intel and PPC Macs using the same ".app" . Each application ".app" is actually a folder containing code to run the program for each platform. Those with Dell Mini 9s are using an Intel Atom processor. So a 50 MB application, for instance, can be slimmed down to maybe 30 MBs if you remove the code for PPC (32 and 64-bit) and maybe Intel 64-bit.

Then there are language translations in the program; for instance Spanish, English, or Japanese Help files, menu items, etc. For most people, only a single language is needed to operate the application. Strip down the ".app" even more to the language you need. Mac OS X might do this on the initial set up, I'm not 100% sure, but other applications you download or install may have the multiple language support.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Okay, when I opened the thread I could've sworn there were no replies. Maybe a bug that only showed the original post? The previous two posts pretty much answered it in a less verbose manner.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-06-2009, 11:33 PM

My 32GB was at 12.72GB before running Monolingual and is now at 11.32GB after.

Red Mini 9| Mac OS 10.5.7 | 32GB RunCore SSD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-08-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

So from what I understand, even though OS X lets you customize the OS install itself (language support, drivers, CPU Help Files) which will make the initial install take about 1/2 the time as the "easy setup", it's still a good idea to run XSlimmer / Monolingual once you have all your apps installed that you plan to use.

If you guys are looking for a decent app to run in OS X to keep the cache and temp file clutter to a minimum, Onyx is effective and easy; AppDelete for removing preference files and program settings when deleting apps you don't want to keep.

Thanks again for the info , folks
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Why XSlimmer / Monolingual on Hackintosh Mini9? - 03-23-2009, 07:29 AM

After a recommendation by someone else on this forum I bought Xslimmer. Hopefully it hasn't affected stability - I have a standard setup except for Coda, TextWrangler and a couple of other very common apps.

I ran the wizard and it saved 877MB, not bad - a 5% saving for no reduced functionality!!

Cheers,
Tim

Timmy G

Current: Macbook 2.4Ghz aluminium .. with OS X
Previous: Dell Mini 9 with OS X
timgriffin.com

« Mac OS X - Apps Refuse to Install - Video Resolution | Screen angle »