Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Confused at the fuss? - 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM

So these "netbooks" seem to be all the rage on the Internet these days, but I must admit I'm a bit confused.

Basically, why? Yes, they are extremely small but so are many other notebooks with much higher capabilities. So what attracts you to netbooks, and even more specifically the Dell model. Maybe you can convince me to buy one, even though I have a Macbook 13-inch.

Thanks for any replies!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM

My answer: price.

Yes, I too love my full-sized MacBook Pro, but I'm so scarred of damaging it or having it stolen that I hardly ever take it with me. Whereas the "netbook" is like a really really useful iPod. I've had iPods stolen in the past; and sure, it sucks, but at the end of the day you're only down $300.

After the price, size and portability are really important. I can throw a "netbook" into my bag and take it anywhere, hardly noticing at all that I'm carrying around a fully-functional computer. This is not true with my MBP, or even the MacBook, as you probably know.

And lastly, for me personally, I'm a "gadget" guy. I love toys, and this happens to be a really really cool one.

Anyway, just my .02

Happy netbook-ing!

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Haha, yea, I can understand wanting the latest gadget. So what brought you to the Dell besides say Asus' or HP's offerings?

If anyone else would like to chime in please do so!
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM

It's only 2 pounds and takes less room in my tool bag. SSD. No moving parts. I personally like the Dell name and support. I have monster desktops at work and at home, and really don't need a full blown laptop. Ubuntu as an option (which I originally ordered, but now I'm having some fun experimenting with whatever this thing will run.)

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM

See this thread for a lot of other opinions on this topic.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 04:09 AM

Well first and foremost I ordered mine because I am a gadget whore! Then the more I read on here and the more I play with my own, the more I use and find more functionality with it. I have a 17" work laptop that requires me to work out 5 days a week just to carry it around, a monstrous desktop at home that can do anything you throw at it, a 15" personal laptop and yet I still continue to use my mini. My wife thinks that its just a fad and a few weeks from now I won't even pick it up. Possibly true but probably not. I love playing some of my old games on here like Sim City 3000, which I haven't touched in years. I love the crisp display while watching movies or hulu. I love that when I have to go to the "library" I can run down the hall with it and not break my wrists. I love that anyone that sits next to me absolutely MUST own one because they are so quiet and compact. The keyboard on the Dell is absolutely fantastic for any netbook I have ever touched. Others will disagree but I can actually type nearly as fast as on a full keyboard because I am a touch typer anyway. But all in all at the end of the day it was only 300 bucks for a fully functional, ridiculously quiet, insanely light laptop/palmtop (depending on where I am at and what I am doing).

Anyhow, thats why I love my mini! Oh and it fits inside my glovebox too! How cool is that?!?!?

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdw89
So these "netbooks" seem to be all the rage on the Internet these days, but I must admit I'm a bit confused.

Basically, why? Yes, they are extremely small but so are many other notebooks with much higher capabilities. So what attracts you to netbooks, and even more specifically the Dell model. Maybe you can convince me to buy one, even though I have a Macbook 13-inch.

Thanks for any replies!
If you can't see a need for one, then you don't need one. Simple as that really. Fashion isn't a good reason to buy one!

Being a gadget freak's a valid reason, or liking/needing the fact the Mini 9 is a) very light, b) very small, c) rugged (no spinning hard drive), d) silent (no fan), e) inexpensive etc.. If a 13" notebook works for you, then that's fine.

My specific reason was I have to carry a work notebook when I travel, and needed a very small and light machine for my own stuff (I will not co-mingle work with my stuff on one computer) to get within the carry-on weight limit.

It has far exceeded my expectations. It can run applications far better than I expected. I like the way I can put it on a dining table to show people photos etc. without it intruding and without the limitations of the small screen of an iPhone or similar. I like the way it can be carried unobtrusively. I like the way I can easily put it next to the bed when I go to sleep. It has effectively replaced a Palm TX too. It's not the best computer I've ever had, but it the most useful.

(The second one is a refurb, bought mainly for the battery, and to play with.)

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM

I am not a gaget freak, don't usually buy the latest and greatest of anything, and view computers as tools and not toys (meaning I don't usually tinker with them unnecessarily). So why did I buy a Mini?
I wanted a laptop to have upstairs so I could do some surfing and be with my small childeren. I wanted a small computer as I travel some and my work laptop was too heavy and bulky for lugging around, I wanted the ssd and liked the fact that dell didn't have a fan....no moving parts=rugged...for travel and young kids. Price. My mini was $330 from the outlet shipped, and only that expensive because I wanted the bluetooth option....in retrospect, I could have skipped the bt and gotten a model much cheaper (and since i don't have a lot of usb appliances, a small dongle for mouse would have been okay).

Lastly, the existence of this forum sealed my purchase for dell, as if I do have problems, there are about fifty people on this forum that go out of their way to help and know their stuff. I did replace my ram with 2gb in 10 seconds (and knew that I could without fear), and plan on a runcore if/when the prices drop. I have also gotten a lot of crapware off based on suggestions on this forum and my computer runs a little faster.

Other reasons: The dell has better battery life, has a track record for honoring warrenty, and this model can be upgraded.
The downsides: The apostrophe key location still kills me, although the rest of the keyboard has not bothered me as much as I thought (for touch typing). I can change the keys based on info on the forum, but haven't decided yet. I would have gotten the 10" mini if it was a 9 with a 10" screen...but really it is a 12 with a10" screen and the same price. The screen size was the only other thing to get used to...I still would like the 10" if all other things were equal.
I haven't traveled with it yet, but am looking forward to it, and I also take it with me more than I did my work laptop. It is not as intrusive to real life as a blackberry, but allows you to do most work and keep in touch more from more places....you won't find me at my desk as much these days, but if you send me an email, you know I am working.
g
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdw89
Haha, yea, I can understand wanting the latest gadget. So what brought you to the Dell besides say Asus' or HP's offerings?

If anyone else would like to chime in please do so!
The Gizmodo Hackint0sh article led me to the Dell Mini; after researching a few of the newer netbooks it appears as if the Mini9 is the only netbook with near 100% full hardware support under OSX. This was my main reason for choosing Dell over the competition.

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Oh man, you guys (and gals, maybe?) have convinced me I think. If they send out a coupon code in tomorrow's email I may just have to jump on it.

« Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer | My new Mini »