Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM

To echo others, the price. For what you're getting it's a real bargain. Originally, I was looking to get a photo viewer like this one: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...p?oid=63061068 so I could backup my photos on trips. Then, I was reading an article in the latest Wired about netbooks. Intrigued, I spec'd out a Mini 9 and discovered that for less money, I could get an entire computer as opposed to what is essentially a fancy iPod. The Mini is a bit bigger than the Epson, but not so much that it causes any problems.

Obsidian 9 | 2GB | 64GB | BT | 1.3MP | Hardy Heron
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM

My employer bought me a very nice HP laptop with all the bells and whistles. I travel frequently visiting remote offices and clients in their homes. By the end of the day the HP with bag, power supply, etc. can get to be a real load. But the Mini weighs about the same as the power supply on the HP and will accomplish about 95% of everything I need do.

I carry the HP in my back seat "just in case". But the Mini is what stays with me.

My first laptop had a 8086 processor; 2 megs of memory; a 20 meg hard drive; and a monochrome screen. If I recall correctly it cost a little over $1,300 while on a huge sale. The fact that I can get a netbook with the functionality of a Mini for less than $300 delivered truly impresses me.

Mini 9=Black/64gb RunCore SSD/1.3 camera/Blue Tooth/2gb RAM/WAN Card Slot and running XP PRO
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-06-2009, 06:38 AM

I use a 17" MacBook Pro from work (and lug it to client sites and home as needed). When I'm "off work" tough, I'd rather there be a clean break between "me" and "work" (often leaving the laptop at home, sometimes merely because of its size). I've grown accustomed to having a laptop around and there are times it would be beneficial, but the weight, size, and replacement cost usually preclude bringing the 17" with me to a lot of places.

I've got a desktop in my home office for when I'm there, but if I'm by the TV in the family room, on the road or on a vacation, I expect that tossing my Mini 9 in my travel bag should be about as difficult as bringing an overlarge hardcover book, and much more useful than my old Palm/Clie was. It will also be a small handheld console taking the place of some of the smartphone lust I've managed to avoid (I'm happy with my older "brick" phone, it works and its good, it doesn't need to do everything until they get battery life MUCH better ).

That I can use a netbook as a personal organizer for my contacts, browse the net at WiFi hotspots, offload camera memory cards on vacation, or use it as console for a bit of programing while sitting on the train, all while only carrying around a 2lb oversized hardcover is pretty amazing.

The mini sold me on the idea (over any other) because it was small, light, and could theoretically be turned into a hackintosh (using a standard install disk and a VERY clean upgrade capability), giving me a computer only twice the weight and slightly bigger than the Mac Air, but still supporting (and providing) almost all the same basic features one would "expect" in a traditional OS X computer (bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, 802.11g). It also provides some features the Air doesn't have, such as a built in multi-card reader, WWAN optional, lots more connectivity ports, oh, and even a fully loaded mini9 is 800$ cheaper than an Air.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-06-2009, 06:56 AM

hello all-
sorry to thread jack but i too have the same question. I own a Dell Inspiron 1525 2.6 Pentium Dual Core 3 gb Ram 250 GB HDD. I was brought here because at first i loved the EEE pc from Asus but i was recommended on not getting it and was brought to the MINI 9. Im thinking of purchasing a refurb from the outlet and upgrading it with the help of the community from this site. primarily i want to use this while in class,typing up notes and such and not bust out this beast of a laptop that would stick out like a sore thumb. So basically how far would you recommend one and....why do you guys/gals like to use netbooks over notebooks even though notebooks are meant for travel.

Also last question.....if i leave my laptop at home and carry the mini 9 with me...would dell remote access work between two laptops or is it only desktops?

thanks in advance and as in i hope and cant wait to hear responses from you all.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-06-2009, 07:30 AM

I just ordered a Mini 9 because my 5.5 lb Macbook Pro is ridiculous to carry around all the time. I need a computer that fits easily in my backpack so that I can take it to school and such. It's crazy how much my backpack weighs with my books + my MBP. Oh, and it really sucks wearing a backpack that heavy when you're on a motorcycle. Losing 3 lbs. off of my back is easily worth the $200 I just spent on this Dell. That doesn't include future upgrades of course, but those are unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoFerret
...giving me a computer only twice the weight and slightly bigger than the Mac Air...
The Dell Mini 9 weighs about 3/4 lb. less than the Air, and is smaller in every dimension except thickness... :?:

Nick

Macbook Pro 15" (4.1) - Running Ubuntu 8.10 in a VM
Mini 9 - Black, 4GB, 512MB, Ubuntu, no accessories
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-06-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldatCrinale

Also last question.....if i leave my laptop at home and carry the mini 9 with me...would dell remote access work between two laptops or is it only desktops?
I don't see why not, it's just software after all. Why not ask on the official dell support forums? If not, something like ultravnc will work.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb
I don't see why not, it's just software after all. Why not ask on the official dell support forums? If not, something like ultravnc will work.[/quote]
yeah shoulda asked that there but what the heck, thought someone here might know too. never hurts to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350
I just ordered a Mini 9 because my 5.5 lb Macbook Pro is ridiculous to carry around all the time. I need a computer that fits easily in my backpack so that I can take it to school and such. It's crazy how much my backpack weighs with my books + my MBP. Oh, and it really sucks wearing a backpack that heavy when you're on a motorcycle. Losing 3 lbs. off of my back is easily worth the $200 I just spent on this Dell. That doesn't include future upgrades of course, but those are unavoidable.
I shoulda wrote that as in my complaint as well. I love my inspiron but it too is heavy. I have a swiss army backpack with the extra pouche just for the notebook. add that in the books I carry, it looks like im camping, plus my back hurts after all the walking im doing. i can only imagine how bad it is to be on a motorcycle. even worse if your on a Sport Back with having to lean forward all the time. I think im pretty much sold. i was afraid to buy one because i dont think i need another notebook but hey if i can save my back too and still gain access to my laptop with remote access. im sold. now alpine white or obsidian black...
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Confused at the fuss? - 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoFerret
...giving me a computer only twice the weight and slightly bigger than the Mac Air...
The Dell Mini 9 weighs about 3/4 lb. less than the Air, and is smaller in every dimension except thickness... :?:
Thanks or catching that, you're absolutely correct, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm going to blame the time of night (morning?) and say I shouldn't be posting anything after midnight (local).

I think I was trying to say how it was twice as thick and somehow that got translated in my sleep addled brain into weight.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )

« Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer | My new Mini »