Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-03-2009, 03:56 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum but have been trolling for a bit, I just purchased my Mini 9 and it is being shipped as I type this. I'm active duty military and bought this as to use as my deployment pc since I find myself traveling alot. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for mods/upgrades to my pc that would be useful. I've already seen the gps addition and thought of how entertaining that would be (convienient too). Any advice out there for reliable peripherals that can take a beating, or methods for ruggedizing the Mini? Has anyone run into issues with wear and tear on these pc's yet? I haven't seen any posting about that. Also, If anyone has any good advice for extending battery life that'd be very helpful.

Apologies for the giant wall of text, I figured I might as well make my first post a good one.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-03-2009, 05:36 AM

I would put a screen and keyboard protector on. hopefully it will keep from getting scratches and items between the keys. I ordered that from SGP.com. I also got a carbon fiber skin and it looks amazing, Its a material too. So that will help with scratches on the lid. For heavy duty travel i have a small safe. its flat, made of a strong material and my mini fits perfectly in it,. Its not heavy either. its one of those little flat safes for traveling where you can put money, keys. passports ects. I just took the tray out and ..BOOM... my mini tank was born.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Having deployed to Iraq in 2004 here's what I learned about protecting electronics and small devices.

1. Store them in well sealed containers when not in use. Pelican style cases are recommended
2. Buy cheap and emotionally prepare yourself for the device to not make it through your deployment
3. Overprotecting (screen guards, skins, etc) can actually hurt rather than help. Often these are adhesive backed and even the minutest amount of glue around the edges will attract and trap dust and sand particles. With these protective covers still in place, cleaning your device is actually more difficult and they will often trap particles between themselves and the device which promoted more scratching.
4. It's a lot like force protection - the more secure it is, the less functionality it has.

You know I make 1000D cordura fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 right? I have ACU, Coyote Tan and Coyote Brown...

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-04-2009, 12:49 AM

@Jermz

Thanks for the reply, screen and keyboard protector sounds like a good idea; however, I can't find this SGP.com you talk of. The idea of lugging a safe around doesn't sound too pleasant. I'm going to be off base alot and portability was a big reason for me to get the Mini. Do you have a better link for SGP?

@Psyopper

The pelican cases are a great suggestion the best fit according to their case calculator is the 1080 Hardback, which looks as if it would fit a Mini quite nicely. The weight isn't too bad at 2.77 pounds, I understand that not doubling total weight of the system will be almost impossible. ~60$ is a pretty nice price

Thanks for the advice so far, if anyone else has input that would be welcome as well.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-04-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine8
@Jermz

Thanks for the reply, screen and keyboard protector sounds like a good idea; however, I can't find this SGP.com you talk of. The idea of lugging a safe around doesn't sound too pleasant. I'm going to be off base alot and portability was a big reason for me to get the Mini. Do you have a better link for SGP?

@Psyopper

The pelican cases are a great suggestion the best fit according to their case calculator is the 1080 Hardback, which looks as if it would fit a Mini quite nicely. The weight isn't too bad at 2.77 pounds, I understand that not doubling total weight of the system will be almost impossible. ~60$ is a pretty nice price

Thanks for the advice so far, if anyone else has input that would be welcome as well.
At my age, deployment (again) is far from a consideration.
The only thing I can add is ... thank you for your service, and take care if you deploy to the sandbox. Get home safe and sound!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Good info guys. Thanks.

First post here. I've been reading these forums like crazy since I placed my order. Just received a mini9 I ordered for my gal. After spending the afternoon setting it up & testing I've decided I'll be grabbing a M10 for myself soon.

Also wanted to thank Alpline8 and psyopper for your service. Psyopper, I''ve got two good friends in psyops stationed in Iraq right now. Can't wait for them to get home.

Thanks again all for the great info here. I would have never ordered this thing if it wasn't for these forums.

Joe
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M.
Good info guys. Thanks.

First post here. I've been reading these forums like crazy since I placed my order. Just received a mini9 I ordered for my gal. After spending the afternoon setting it up & testing I've decided I'll be grabbing a M10 for myself soon.

Also wanted to thank Alpline8 and psyopper for your service. Psyopper, I''ve got two good friends in psyops stationed in Iraq right now. Can't wait for them to get home.

Thanks again all for the great info here. I would have never ordered this thing if it wasn't for these forums.

Joe
If you're OK with it, PM me their names. CA and Psyop is a really small community and theres a good chance that I either trained them (about 20%) trained with them (another 10%) or deployed with them (another 5%). Oh - and I would like to thank you for paying your taxes!

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 as a deployment computer - 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper
If you're OK with it, PM me their names. CA and Psyop is a really small community and theres a good chance that I either trained them (about 20%) trained with them (another 10%) or deployed with them (another 5%). Oh - and I would like to thank you for paying your taxes!
Pm Sent.

« Video Chat | Confused at the fuss? »