Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Setting up wi-fi - 03-01-2009, 11:42 PM

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and just ordered a Dell mini 9. I currently do not have wireless network set up at the house and wondering what is all needed to get it set up. I currently have a cable modem for my PC and would like to add wi-fi for the new mini 9. I'm not ver tech savvy, so a step by step instruction (to include what to buy) would be much appreciated ops: .

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 12:01 AM

Welcome to the forum!

If the cable modem connects directly to the PC then you should buy a wireless router, A "Wireless G" model will be fine - these are inexpensive. Follow the instructions with the router for installing it between the cable modem and PC and configure the wireless network for "WPA2" security. Ideally, the router will feature "WPA Protected Setup" which makes it easy to configure the wireless on the Mini by entering a code number usually printed on the bottom of the router.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 01:42 AM

Well ... I have to disagree with the previous poster. The OP didn't detail his current cable setup, but many services utilize the supplied router to enable TV functions such as preview guides and pay per view. Changing the router will definitely disable those features without installing additional hardware.

The easiest and in my opinion best option is to pick up a wireless access point like a Linksys and just plug it into one of the available LAN ports on the existing router. This assumes the OP isn't using all available ports for wired computer connections, of course. If he/she is - the alternative is to use an additional 3 port bridge, and connect to the WAP from one of those ports. That is what I had to do when I was on cable and had a 6 computer home network.

A Linksys WAP can be purchased for less than half what a new wireless router (that might disable his cable features) costs.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 01:51 AM

holmes4 is right. In *most* cases, cable Internet users have a modem directly attached to a PC, either via USB or ethernet, and buying a router with wireless is the correct move. In some cases, you can get wireless access from your cable provider by asking for a combination cable modem/gateway with wireless access built-in (I have a few clients with Comcast who have wireless available from their modem/router.

I have not seen too many cable providers using special set top boxes for Internet. AT&T's U-Verse uses their own gateway, but the TVs still have their own set top boxes for IP TV and controlling DVR functions.

The OP should detail who his provider and modem brand/model is, but chances are a router is what he needs.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 02:38 AM

As I read it, there is no "existing router" - just a cable modem.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the prompt replies!

I apologize for not describing my current set up. I have a cable modem (provided by Comcast) connected directly to the PC via ethernet cable. So I guess I can just buy a wireless router and then the PC will be "hard wired" to the cable modem through the wireless router (PC--->wireless router--->cable modem, in that order?) and then the new dell mini can access the network "wireless"?

Thanks!

Ken
  (#7) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 03:43 AM

Exactly!

(I'm on Comcast as well, but have the digital phone/cable modem box, but it works the same way.)

Getting an iPad
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Setting up wi-fi - 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM

You got it NewDell. Just follow the steps outlined in your wireless router for actual instructions. As a security professional I would recommend changing the default password and username (if possible) to something else as light weight hackers tend to use google hacks to find home routers with the default username and password and cause all sorts of mischief. I prefer Linksys as they have been good to me and I have used there upgrade program in the past to get some nice Cisco equipment. Anyhow, if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to guide you along!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam

« A few questions. | SSD and RAM compatibility issues »