Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-01-2009, 08:06 PM

Hello.

What am I supposed to do in the meantime?

I ordered a mini9 with 32GB HD and a webcam, everything else stock. I ordered a 2GB ram stick from crucial which will be here soon. My plan is hackintosh. Dell says it won't be here until the 25th of March or something. Does Mike himself need to come down off the mountain and bless this thing? Is there some team of gingerly old men lazily putting these things together 1 per day or something in between cups of tea?

I'm not a very patient person. I've got everything ready to go with the type11 disc burned and whatnot. I don't think I'm even going to boot it into ubuntu, I'm just going to immediately go for the OSX-ification following the gizmodo walkthrough. I keep telling people that I ordered this thing, they get excited and want to see it, then I'm like yeaaaaaah. Um.. Wait a few weeks, k?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-01-2009, 09:31 PM

I got mine from Dell Outlet - just a few days shipping. There weren't any 32GB SSD while I was watching so if you want that I guess you get the custom order (and wait time). They could be assembling them on the other side of the world (mine does say made in China).

Have fun wandering the forums. The install methods seem to work pretty well for most people so once you get it, it should only be 4 hours or so.

You do have your retail version of OSX too? It gets gamey (and is not supported here) without it.

Cheers

Tom
Alpine White Mini 9, 2GB RAM | 32GB SSD (ST), OSX 10.6.1, Bootinstaller RC1
Black Mini 9, 2GB RAM | 32GB SSD (STEC), OSX 10.6.1, Bootinstaller RC2
  (#3) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Ya. I was watching the outlet for a while and ended up jumping on the $50 off deal they had the other day. All told my rig cost $350 including shipping/etc.

I do have a retail copy of OSX. That giz walkthrough said some of the external drives didn't always work. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaught
Hello.

What am I supposed to do in the meantime?

I ordered a mini9 with 32GB HD and a webcam, everything else stock. I ordered a 2GB ram stick from crucial which will be here soon. My plan is hackintosh. Dell says it won't be here until the 25th of March or something. Does Mike himself need to come down off the mountain and bless this thing? Is there some team of gingerly old men lazily putting these things together 1 per day or something in between cups of tea?

I'm not a very patient person. I've got everything ready to go with the type11 disc burned and whatnot. I don't think I'm even going to boot it into ubuntu, I'm just going to immediately go for the OSX-ification following the gizmodo walkthrough. I keep telling people that I ordered this thing, they get excited and want to see it, then I'm like yeaaaaaah. Um.. Wait a few weeks, k?
the weeks will go by fast. i had to wait three weeks for mine.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM

wtf. i ordered mine on the 28th and it DID say it would ship by March 20. overnight, it has changed to March 30. how does it take a month to build a laptop? i got the base model + a 32gb SSD, its not like there is anything crazy being put into this.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM

It's not that it takes a month to build, but there is a fixed supply of components and if something interrupts the supply, delivery times are increased.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM

it's just shady. i do understand that they only keep so much on hand supply wise...but i can still groan and bitch, right

i just wish they had more stocked up if they were planning on giving us a killer deal. but then again, it was probably to clear put space for the new mini 10...
  (#8) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Delivery dude just called me to tell my mine will be delivered "next week" and I ordered it yesterday, YES!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM

I went with the Dell Outlet because I couldn't wait; I ordered a refurbished model yesterday morning (1GB RAM, 8GB HD, 1.3MP CMR, BLACK) and it was shipped out today. It should be arriving, according to FedEx, on Thursday

Waiting a month is a bit absurd; I understand all the economics behind it but I feel that Dell is making people wait far far too long. If it weren't for the Gizmodo Hackint0sh article, I would have just driven to Best Buy and purchased an EeePC -- Dell should really pick up the pace.

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#10) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-06-2009, 03:32 AM

4 days later.

Still "In Production". I'm starting to get night sweats and am having trouble sleeping. Appetite is gone. Coworkers are whispering about meth addiction behind my back. I've begun work on my own Mini9 from parts laying around my house. I'm trying to get the size of the case down correctly first, but there's a dremel tool in my closet calling my name and my imac is starting to look scared. It has computery parts in it, right? I should note that I have absolutely no skill nor idea whether or not tearing my imac apart will actually help me get parts necessary to build my mini9. Not having skill hasn't hurt me before and hell, stupider people than me build computers on some crappy assembly line everyday. The voices are getting louder and I think I'm beginning to lose my mind. I have an email from dell that says the ship date is the 18th. The website says the 25th. I'm thinking this means it will be here tomorrow since they seem to have no idea whats going on. Maybe it shipped without them knowing. Can you hear my keyboard when it makes noises? Leg.

« My mini and some questions | Well I did it...now what »