Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#21) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleetrotter
wtf. i ordered mine on the 28th and it DID say it would ship by March 20. overnight, it has changed to March 30. how does it take a month to build a laptop? i got the base model + a 32gb SSD, its not like there is anything crazy being put into this.
Just wondering where you found the 32gb option? Every time I check building a system, the only drive options I find are 16gb max. Am I missing something? I can't even find anything bigger than 8gb at the outlet

I can't find any of these coupons people keep mentioning either.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen617
My experience ordering from Dell, and specifically the outlet (although I have ordered from both many times) is that even if they don't post the tracking information you can get it by simply calling customer service with your order number and asking for it. That's what I did this morning to find out mine will be delivered FedEx on the 11th.
Thanks. Just called them on mine is also due on the 11th. They shipped it FedEx Home Delivery - hopefully that won't be a problem since it's going to a business.

Only 2 more days. . .
  (#23) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleetrotter
wtf. i ordered mine on the 28th and it DID say it would ship by March 20. overnight, it has changed to March 30. how does it take a month to build a laptop? i got the base model + a 32gb SSD, its not like there is anything crazy being put into this.
Just wondering where you found the 32gb option? Every time I check building a system, the only drive options I find are 16gb max. Am I missing something? I can't even find anything bigger than 8gb at the outlet

You don't see a 32GB option on the 'select your hard drive' screen?

My $50 off price was a one day special they were running that I read about on gizmodo I think..
  (#24) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:

For custom builds, you have to choose Ubunto to get bigger hard drive options. As far as the outlet goes - to get the coupons you need to sign up for their mailings - then you will get coupons about every other week or at least once a month, always on Thursdays. For some more tips on outlet shopping see my posts in the More Noob-ness thread in this forum.
  (#25) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen617
Quote:

For custom builds, you have to choose Ubunto to get bigger hard drive options. As far as the outlet goes - to get the coupons you need to sign up for their mailings - then you will get coupons about every other week or at least once a month, always on Thursdays. For some more tips on outlet shopping see my posts in the More Noob-ness thread in this forum.
Arg - don't want Ubuntu
Dells site is, imo as a website designer, so badly constructed I haven't even found anywhere to sign-up for coupons.
  (#26) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Arg - don't want Ubuntu
Dells site is, imo as a website designer, so badly constructed I haven't even found anywhere to sign-up for coupons.
My 32GB on order from the outlet is XP. Don't quote me on this, but I think I gleaned from these forums that any Dell OEM XP disk will install on the Mini without requiring activation. However, I really don't know if that is true or not .

As far as signing up for coupons, go to the main Dell outlet site (http://www.dell.com/outlet) and click on Dell Outlet Solutions for Home and Home Office - that page has a "subscribe and save" link which is where the coupons come from. Generally they are one-time use coupons, but I believe there is a coupon thread on this site where people share coupons they are not using, and you can also google "dell outlet coupons" because sometimes there are multiple use (up to a certain number like 400 or so) released to the in the know public. The most recent mailing came last Thursday so I wouldn't expect to get another coupon code for at least 2 weeks, but they do come regularly and I time my outlet purchases around them.

I think the best time to sit and hit your refresh button looking for good configurations is between 5:30 and 7:30 am EST, which is when I have always had my best luck at the outlet. Also, faster than hitting refresh is just re-ordering the list over and over again by price - if you put a filter in looking only for 16GB or larger drives you will weed out all the chaff.
  (#27) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-10-2009, 10:06 AM

You know you're going crazy when you start to wonder if the Pretty Pink 16gb models in the Outlet would really look that bad for a guy...
  (#28) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstaa
You know you're going crazy when you start to wonder if the Pretty Pink 16gb models in the Outlet would really look that bad for a guy...
Nah man, this is aught-nine, pink is the new black. Go for it. :lol:
  (#29) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebobs
After a couple of months of checking out this site... I ordered mine yesterday:
Intel ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
16GB Solid State Hard Drive
Integrated 1.3MP Camera (N-Series Only)
Ubuntu 8.04

Estimated delivery date: "On or before 23/03/2009" - Seriously dude WTF! I want mine now!

As you can tell, I'm not very patient.

Leebobs
Five days later, mine is still "in production" - I knew I shouldn't have customised it! When will I use the 1.3MP Camera anyway?!? Please Dell... Ship my Mini!
  (#30) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Mine was in production for about 9 days. Go practice some yoga.

« My mini and some questions | Well I did it...now what »