Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-06-2009, 04:45 AM

Yeah, the wait seems tough.

I just finally bit the bullet and ordered one off the Outlet store a few days ago so hopefully the wait will be shorter (512MB RAM, 8GB SSD, 1.3MP Cam, Bluetooth, WWAN card, Cherry RED). Dell SAYS it shipped already and should be hear within the week, but they don't have any tracking number so I can check myself, so I'm not really sure if its been shipped or not.

I planned on upping the memory and putting in a RunCore drive, so my wait will probably be longer for the HD before I put in OS X (already have a retail disk and a USB key I'm prepping). In the meantime I plan on using the stock windows install and seeing what it can do.

I think part of the reason the waiting seems so long for some of us is that we keep watching the store and deciding on the purchase for so long that we've been "involved" with the purchase for a while.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#12) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-06-2009, 07:29 AM

After a couple of months of checking out this site... I ordered mine yesterday:
Intel ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
16GB Solid State Hard Drive
Integrated 1.3MP Camera (N-Series Only)
Ubuntu 8.04

Estimated delivery date: "On or before 23/03/2009" - Seriously dude WTF! I want mine now!

As you can tell, I'm not very patient.

Leebobs
  (#13) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-07-2009, 09:07 PM

I was shocked at how quickly I got mine (not to rub it in). I ordered it from the outlet Wednesday night and it just showed up on my doorstep today (Saturday).

I snagged a black (previously ordered new - not a refurb) Mini 9 with 8GB SSD, 512MB (soon to be 2GB), 0.3 webcam and XP for $239 & free shipping. The tiny keyboard will take some getting used to, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

And now I'll be spending this absolutely gorgeous afternoon uninstalling all of the crappy Dell software and setting this baby up. I've already ordered an external hard drive and will be heading to MicroCenter to get my RAM upgrade this afternoon. No plans to upgrade the SSD yet. I'll wait on that one - the external HD and my 8GB thumb drive should handle most of my storage needs.

Thanks for creating this site! It's a great resource and cemented my decision to buy a Mini.

TeeDubb
  (#14) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Bleh. you guys are filling me with lots of confidence... i ordered mine on the 28th and its still in production.

I got the mini 12 with 6 cell battery and xp that was like $150 off on the canadian site. i don't think there was anything i could customize. i got a v450 nano with it, which shipped the next day lol...

maybe i should order my runcore now, so when it shows up can fiddle with it for 10 minutes, crack her open and format her immediately heh.

just to clearify, the runcore mini zif ssds will work with the 12?
  (#15) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaught
I don't think I'm even going to boot it into ubuntu, I'm just going to immediately go for the OSX-ification following the gizmodo walkthrough
I would highly recommend against that. You'll want to make sure all of your hardware is working properly before you go messing with OSX. You will have a much easier time dealing with Dell support and getting replacement parts if you have the OS they shipped it with.
Boot up, make sure the webcam works (there is an ubunto app in there - skip the Dell video chat app), make sure the sound and microphone work (may require some tweaking - there is a dell support article about how to configure your microphone) and verify system specs (HD, RAM). Give the keyboard a practice run, making sure they all work. Connect to a wired and wireless network.
Shouldn't take more than an hour. Once you are comfortable that your hardware works, go for the OSX install. It will save you some headaches.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 04:42 AM

To get back to the original posters request of what to do in the meantime....

Wow, I thought I was crazy. I couldn't focus either and contraversially cancelled my original order to save another $54 bucks (Pres. Day $199 sale). So I had to wait LONGER. Anyway I don't think anyone here has mentioned it:

PREP TIME!!!!!!

This is your prep time. You've read the forums to death. Now it's time to start buying parts/replacement RAM and other items you may want. Be prepared before it even hits your door!

I did a tremendous amount of research before I got it. That's putting it mildly. I ranted to people in my personal life to death about it. By the time Dell actually shipped Mini 9, I had 2GB RAM, carrying case and a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card. I also learned how to install Windows XP via USB Flash Drive, nLite installations, slipstreaming, SSD tech information, Ubuntu vs Windows XP benefits/drawbacks, etc. It was actually quite enjoyable!

P.S. Take pictures when it arrives. It makes it even more fun.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#17) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimflan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaught
I don't think I'm even going to boot it into ubuntu, I'm just going to immediately go for the OSX-ification following the gizmodo walkthrough
I would highly recommend against that. You'll want to make sure all of your hardware is working properly before you go messing with OSX. You will have a much easier time dealing with Dell support and getting replacement parts if you have the OS they shipped it with.
Boot up, make sure the webcam works (there is an ubunto app in there - skip the Dell video chat app), make sure the sound and microphone work (may require some tweaking - there is a dell support article about how to configure your microphone) and verify system specs (HD, RAM). Give the keyboard a practice run, making sure they all work. Connect to a wired and wireless network.
Shouldn't take more than an hour. Once you are comfortable that your hardware works, go for the OSX install. It will save you some headaches.
This is good advice, thank you.

My order has actually shipped. Fedex shows estimated delivery date is the 11th. I ordered on the 27th.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 06:32 PM

I ordered mine on 3/4 and I got my shipped email notification on 3/5.

However, the Order Status page on the website says "Data Temporarily Unavailable" for Carrier and Tracking # and calling Dell's automated phone # says that it's in transit to shipper.

Does the Orders Status page ever get updated with actual Carrier and Tracking # info? Estimated delivery date is 3/13, but just wondering if web page info is never updated and it will show up sooner (I hope).

Thanks.
  (#19) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Yes, it will update. Mine said the same thing yesterday, but has since been updated with the carrier name & tracking number.

Getting an iPad
  (#20) Old

Default Re: The wait. Oh god the wait. - 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM

My experience ordering from Dell, and specifically the outlet (although I have ordered from both many times) is that even if they don't post the tracking information you can get it by simply calling customer service with your order number and asking for it. That's what I did this morning to find out mine will be delivered FedEx on the 11th.

« My mini and some questions | Well I did it...now what »