Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default XP Upgrade CD - 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM

I think I know the answer, but hope I'm wrong...

I own an XP "upgrade CD from went I went to Windows Me to XP. Will that work to upgrade Ubuntu to XP, or am I going to have to buy a full version of XP.

Thanks in advance for any confirmation,

Weber

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM

IIRC, you can insert the full copy CD of ME when prompted when doing a clean install.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwbr
I think I know the answer, but hope I'm wrong...

I own an XP "upgrade CD from went I went to Windows Me to XP. Will that work to upgrade Ubuntu to XP, or am I going to have to buy a full version of XP.

Thanks in advance for any confirmation,

Weber
An upgrade CD will not allow you to change your OS from Linux to windows. You will need a full windows install CD.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 02:04 AM

Wait... so if I have my windows Me CD and an XP upgrade CD, I'll be OK?

My Windows ME CD is a Dell CD, not a factory Microsoft.

Am I close? Otherwise I'll have to cancel my order and re-buy with windows XP. That is ~$50 versus ~$100 for a new copy of XP.

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#5) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 02:15 AM

I haven't done that trick in years, but there was a time where the installer would ask for the old CD if it didn't find the original installed. I thought it was for Office, not the operating system.

If you have a desktop, try building a virtual machine using Virtual PC or VirtualBox and try performing the install using the upgrade CD and see if it asks you for the Me CD.

Getting an iPad
  (#6) Old

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Wait... so if I have my windows Me CD and an XP upgrade CD, I'll be OK?

My Windows ME CD is a Dell CD, not a factory Microsoft.

Am I close? Otherwise I'll have to cancel my order and re-buy with windows XP. That is ~$50 versus ~$100 for a new copy of XP.
Nope. ME will not, as far as I recall, upgrade to XP. You would first need to upgrade that install to 98SE and then XP. hardly worth the time and effort. I would also bet the Dell CD is only a restore disk - not a complete OS install, so no good there either. I would think, though, that you could obtain a full install XP disk for less than $100 these days. [wink, wink]
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 02:35 AM

ME is later than 98SE. ME came out for 2000 (Millenium Edition).

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I'm canceling my order today... it was a great deal, but not good enough due to the OS in hindsight. Maybe an Outlet deal will surface someday soon.

Again, appreciate all the comments.

(#9) Old

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I'm canceling my order today... it was a great deal, but not good enough due to the OS in hindsight. Maybe an Outlet deal will surface someday soon.

Again, appreciate all the comments.
You cancelled because of what? Because it didn't have Windows? You coudln't have ordered it with Windows? Or is it that a Windows system wasn't available at the time you ordered?

I ordered the Linux version because I'm comfortable with Linux and because there appeared to be more options available than if I ordered a Windows system. I always have the option to install Windows if I need to, but to be honest, Linux is not a hog like Windows is, and if I really want to be a tightwad with drive space, I can remove a LOT of applications and not break anything.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#10) Old

Default Re: XP Upgrade CD - 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM

To the O.P i also toyed with the thought of doing the windows xp install , but after using linux it really is not that bad so needless to say i've totally got the idea out of my head of the upgrade.
Reason being is that you have to buy an external, operating system, and a new ssd, man! I could have done that from the gate , but the deal i got from dell on this mini by far is better than any deal ive yet to see...... Although getting a runcore would be nice? Options are nice to have but my original point was that ubuntu is ok especially after a 2gig upgrade, hope this helps....

Ice Blue 32gb ssd 2gb ram OSX .3mp camera....

« Mini9 at retails stores? | Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? »