Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default install and run programs on sd card - 03-01-2009, 05:29 AM

hi, just bought the mini 9 with 8gb ssd. in order to save ssd space, i was wondering if i can install and run programs on the sd card as i have a 16gb sdhc card and don't want to upgrade the ssd for now. thanks for any advice.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: install and run programs on sd card - 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM

I tried running a few smaller programs from my SDHC and it seemed to work quite well, I haven't tried any larger programs, but my guess is as long as the program isn't labor intensive, it will run without much delay.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OSX 10.6.2 | 1GB Ram | 16GB SSD | Bios A05
  (#3) Old

Default Re: install and run programs on sd card - 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliversurger
hi, just bought the mini 9 with 8gb ssd. in order to save ssd space, i was wondering if i can install and run programs on the sd card as i have a 16gb sdhc card and don't want to upgrade the ssd for now. thanks for any advice.
Most applications should run reasonably well. I would not expect CPU intensive apps like word processors or graphics programs to do well, though.

But stuff like email apps, browsers ... sure.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: install and run programs on sd card - 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliversurger
Most applications should run reasonably well. I would not expect CPU intensive apps like word processors or graphics programs to do well, though.

But stuff like email apps, browsers ... sure.
I run Office 2007 Professional off of an SD card on an old Asus EEE Pc 701. With a slower CPU it still runs Word, Outlook, etc. just fine. No Complaints.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: install and run programs on sd card - 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM

When you run the program, it loads into RAM, so the speed of the SD card should affect, at most, the startup time of the application.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default How to put+run programs from a SD card - 09-28-2009, 02:29 AM

I quickly found out that my new 1GB RAM and 8GB SSD Mini9 can't do much except run WinXP...can't even read a PPS file! I have a 16gb SD card handy can I put OFFICE (or move my Mini's MS Works) onto that card? IF the programs will execute . . HOW do I store the programs on the SD card and get their shortcuts on my desktop? ThankX ahead of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobumc View Post
I run Office 2007 Professional off of an SD card on an old Asus EEE Pc 701. With a slower CPU it still runs Word, Outlook, etc. just fine. No Complaints.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfinger View Post
I quickly found out that my new 1GB RAM and 8GB SSD Mini9 can't do much except run WinXP...can't even read a PPS file! I have a 16gb SD card handy can I put OFFICE (or move my Mini's MS Works) onto that card? IF the programs will execute . . HOW do I store the programs on the SD card and get their shortcuts on my desktop? ThankX ahead of time
If I'm not mistaken, then you should be able to change the install directory to anything and everything. It will still use the same registry, and should also appear on the desktop and in the start menu just fine.

Dell Mini 10v | Product (RED) | Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix | 8GB Samsung MLC SSD | 1510 Wireless a/b/g/n Mini-Card | 6 Cell Battery | 1024x600 | UK Keyboard
Dell Streak | Black | Android 2.2 DJSteve 1.4.6 | 16GB Standard MicroSDHC | GiffGaff
  (#8) Old

Default 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM

If your issue is space related, you might try Lotus Symphony. (Link) It's a free OpenOffice-based Office suite designed in a joint effort between Novell and IBM. A coworker and I were just talking about it, and he said it works really well on his 7" Eee PC 4G.

Cheers,
Charlie

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#9) Old

Default 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliversurger View Post
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on to a 8gig SD/HC drive and loaded the PSB drivers and everything onto the drive. Everything works just fine. When ever the SD card is in the reader the computer boots from the SD card, loads in all the drivers etc and acts just like a mini hard drive. I have downloaded more programs directly to the SD card and they run just fine. Same thing with updates etc. Just like it was a hard drive. Not quite as fast; but very, very usable. I use it all the time.
I'm currently working on doing the same thing with Fedora 11. It runs just fine; but I am having a little difficulty getting the PSB drivers to make it display 1025X576. They were compiled and placed in a rpmfusion nonfree repository. But for some reason are not available all the time. For now it runs just fine in 800X576 mode; but its comming. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#10) Old

Default 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM

I run all of my games from a Class 6 16GB SDHC card with no problems. That runs Max Payne 2 with no issues. Level load times are never more than 3 or 4 seconds. I also run Office 2007 from the same card with no issues at all.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.

« Type11 Bootloader 8.0?? | noob Qs re windows 7 »