Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Second Thoughts... - 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Hello all, I need your help thinking this through; I'm starting to second guess my purchase yesterday for a Mini 9 from Dell:
  • 4 MG
    512 Ram
    Bluetooth
    Webcam 1.3
    Ubuntu
    $241.10 (including ship and tax)

Here are my concerns:
1) Ubuntu -- I don't love it (sorry, just don't), but I was unable to config the Mini 9 other way. To put XP on it, all I have is an "upgrade install" CD, so I guess I'd need to buy a full verison (~$90 @ newegg).
2) I planned to updage RAm, cheap at Fry's for 2 GM (~$20 @ Fry's -- NO ISSUE)
3) I planned to upgrade the SSD, but those seem really pricy (~$70 for a 16 MG @ mydigitaldiscounts)
4) No vga to tv capability... on the road I'd like to hook this up to a hotel tv to watch hulu, but apparently you can't do that "out of the box" and would need a converter (~$40 @ Monoprice)

So it seems like I have another $220 to put into this and I'd have to haul around a converter box too to plug to a TV.

Apparently I'm asking too much from a netbook. Do you all agree, or am I not thinking about the above issues correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help getting my head around this.

Web

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Second Thoughts... - 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM

I suppose it depends on what you really want it for. I will note that more and more hotels I stay at have VGA inputs for the TV. Yes, SSDs are expensive. If what you're doing is watching net videos, an SSD is probably not buying you much advantage.

I bought a netbook to be a portable computer, not a video player.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Second Thoughts... - 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM

Primarily as a "netbook" e-mail, surfing, etc. The Hulu to TV was just a real bonus if it would work -- I wonder if someday that would be built in(?).

Now I think the Win XP is the dealbreaker... not only the $ for the software, but then more $ for a bigger SSD.

Bummer, I felt yesterday's deal was a great $, I would have even paid more for the Win XP... I have no idea why that wasn't an option.

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Second Thoughts... - 02-28-2009, 04:14 PM

XP certainly is an option if you buy from the normal Dell store. If you're going for the Outlet, then the selection is constantly changing.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Where is microphone? | Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time »