Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Password problem - 02-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Hoping someone can help.
I have a Dell Mini 9 from work. I didn't set it up, a colleague did, and as far as he can remember he was not asked to enter a password. When it boots up I am not asked for a password. However I need to install updates and need a password!
I have searched the forum and tried changing the root password (in the terminal) but it doesn't work - typed in sudo root passwd, tried typing a password but it says that it is not the right password!
Any suggestions gratefully received!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Password problem - 03-01-2009, 07:02 AM

Are you using wireless to access the internet for the updates? Maybe it's the wireless network that needs the password. If the network is secure (even most home networks set a security password) that would make sense why it doesn't ask for a password on the boot up. Try hooking it directly to the internet without the wifi.
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Password problem - 03-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Password problem - 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Still no luck - I can't get in to recovery mode. Tried pressing escape but nothing happens. At boot it flashes up press 0 for boot options or 2 for setup.
In boot options there is nothing helpful apart from getting to setup. In setup there is no recovery mode - tried setting the supervisor password in the security settings but this obviously isn't the same as the root password as the update manager won't accept the supervisor password (tried setting the user password too but that just sets a password when you log on, it doens't let me install any updates).
Any more suggestions as to how I should be able to get into recovery mode / set the user / root password?!
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Password problem - 03-02-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro
Still no luck - I can't get in to recovery mode. Tried pressing escape but nothing happens. At boot it flashes up press 0 for boot options or 2 for setup.
In boot options there is nothing helpful apart from getting to setup. In setup there is no recovery mode - tried setting the supervisor password in the security settings but this obviously isn't the same as the root password as the update manager won't accept the supervisor password (tried setting the user password too but that just sets a password when you log on, it doens't let me install any updates).
Any more suggestions as to how I should be able to get into recovery mode / set the user / root password?!
You are probably dealing with administrative rights for upgrades. With XP Home, you can only get to the admin rights area by booting into safe mode, then entering a password you select at the time since it was not done previously.
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Password problem - 03-02-2009, 02:05 AM

You might want to go ask on the Ubuntu support forum at http://www.ubuntuforums.org. This is a generic Ubuntu issue, so you might get help from one of the Linux experts there faster.

Getting an iPad

« My wireless speed is never 54 Mbps | Hi all- netbook for student »