Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default A few questions. - 02-27-2009, 05:41 AM

Hey Guys, I've been messing about with the idea of doing a hackintosh on the mini9.
I was hoping you guys could answer some of my questions before buying.
If I were to install OSX on a 8gb ssd would I be able to leave all core system files/etc on the 8gb ssd and put my files (music,pictures etc) on to a 8gb/16gb ssd card? If so, is the ssd card compatibility on the hackintosh install reliable enough to rely on for everyday usage?
This is an opinion question, I figure you guys would know best. With an 8gb ssd is the osx evironment really more enjoyable and usable to be used over the straightforwardness of xp/ubuntu?
(BTW, I've been using xp/osx for years and not asking opinion on the OS itself, but it's performance relative to the mini9.)
Thanks in advance guys,
Charli~
charliwag.com

My Dell Mini 9 | 2gb Crucial Ram | 16gb STEC SSD | 16gb SDHC| 0.3mp Webcam |OS X 10.5.7| DellEFI 1.1 | A05 | Meklort's Touchpad Drivers | Dropbox | My Desktop
  (#2) Old

Default Re: A few questions. - 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM

I cannot answer the questions about OSX specifically. I'm only new to OSX and I haven't tried putting it on my mini yet.

The only thing I would suggest is that the mini is a small form factor computer and has its own quirks, keyboard layout and small keys, limited screen size and resolution and because of this you should start with the OS that you are most comfortable with until you are happy with the machine.

I use XP Pro on my mini. It performs fine, so long as you don't try to compress the drives. Storage can be expanded with Sd cards and this can be used quite happily to load programs and well as just document and media storage sapce.

HTH
josh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#3) Old

Default Re: A few questions. - 02-28-2009, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply, I think I might go with an outlet mini with a 16gb?
How's your guys experience with the dell outlet?

My Dell Mini 9 | 2gb Crucial Ram | 16gb STEC SSD | 16gb SDHC| 0.3mp Webcam |OS X 10.5.7| DellEFI 1.1 | A05 | Meklort's Touchpad Drivers | Dropbox | My Desktop
  (#4) Old

Default Re: A few questions. - 02-28-2009, 06:35 AM

You can find a number of experiences with the outlet if you search the forums. I would definitely do it again. I ended up with a 16gb SSD, which is now running OS X. It was a scratch and dent model from the dell outlet site, and it works like a champ. I definitely think the 16gb SSD is worth it. As far as your question about performance on the mini, my completely non-empirical opinion is that OS X is slightly zippier than the xp install I had on there (which I had spent a fair amount of time tweaking). It sounds like you're leaning towards installing OS X anyway, and while XP and Ubuntu are both awesome, I don't think you'll find about the Mini that will make your OS X experience less enjoyable.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: A few questions. - 03-02-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliWag
Hey Guys, I've been messing about with the idea of doing a hackintosh on the mini9.
I was hoping you guys could answer some of my questions before buying.
If I were to install OSX on a 8gb ssd would I be able to leave all core system files/etc on the 8gb ssd and put my files (music,pictures etc) on to a 8gb/16gb ssd card? If so, is the ssd card compatibility on the hackintosh install reliable enough to rely on for everyday usage?
This is an opinion question, I figure you guys would know best. With an 8gb ssd is the osx evironment really more enjoyable and usable to be used over the straightforwardness of xp/ubuntu?
(BTW, I've been using xp/osx for years and not asking opinion on the OS itself, but it's performance relative to the mini9.)
Thanks in advance guys,
Charli~
charliwag.com
FWIW, Gizmodo has a big write-up on doing the OSX Leopard conversion on the Mini9. They recommend the 16gb drive for this. Check http://gizmodo.com/
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: A few questions. - 03-02-2009, 02:36 AM

That big writeup came from this forum. Check the OS X section for details.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Hi all- netbook for student | Setting up wi-fi »