Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Since DELL is pre-installing all kinds of crap on new machines I want to reinstall XP (and gladly formatting the c-drive in the process).

I started out trying to install (a simple copy-paste from the OS cdr of) Xp from a USB, which gave me the problem with the missing nvrd32.sys-file after first reboot. Then I tried a million other solutions derived from google searches. Nothing worked.

Anybody in here who have succesfully done this and can point me in the direction of the solution? Thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM

I know it is popular to say that there is "all kinds of crap" on the systems, but I don't agree. You can easily uninstall software you don't want and use the Add or Remove Programs applet to remove Windows components you don't want. I keep seeing people render their systems unbootable or unusable in an attempt to "remove the crap". You've already wasted time and effort in this process. not helped by not understanding how an XP install works.

The simplest way to reinstall is to have a USB CD/DVD drive, insert the supplied XP CD in the drive an boot from the CD (press 0 during the initial boot screen). You can then delete the existing partition if you want by doing a custom install.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Since DELL is pre-installing all kinds of crap on new machines I want to reinstall XP (and gladly formatting the c-drive in the process).
This is rather harsh blaming Dell for what looks like a Microsoft issue. It looks like you have a problem re-installing XP from the bona fida Windows media you have - you do have this?
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM

I haven't seen a recent XP build for the Mini 9 lately, but the 12s are now coming with Microsoft's Live software preloaded, and that crap does slow the PC down, especially boot time. Compact SQL Server 2008? Now THAT is an oxymoron :lol:

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Well, I purchased a mini with Ubuntu on it and I didn't really like the fact that I couldn't install some much used programs like yahoo messenger. Yes I know I can still use yahoo through other programs but not with the use of webcams to chat with my kids when I am on the other side of the country for work. So I grabbed the xp pro license that I had on my old laptop and downloaded a stripped down version of xp pro on a popular torrent site, mounted the iso, scanned the iso, and then followed the instructions found HERE. This guide is pretty thorough and I managed to load XP on the first try. The only thing I didn't see that it said in there was that you had to close the gui PeToUSB after you use it and installing XP is a 2 part process. You have to do the text part till it completes then let it reboot and tell it to do the GUI part. I figured that out on my own though and it worked great!! I hope this works!

P.S. Typed on my fantastically new mini 9 with XP Pro!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I know it is popular to say that there is "all kinds of crap" on the systems, but I don't agree. You can easily uninstall software you don't want and use the Add or Remove Programs applet to remove Windows components you don't want. I keep seeing people render their systems unbootable or unusable in an attempt to "remove the crap". You've already wasted time and effort in this process. not helped by not understanding how an XP install works.

The simplest way to reinstall is to have a USB CD/DVD drive, insert the supplied XP CD in the drive an boot from the CD (press 0 during the initial boot screen). You can then delete the existing partition if you want by doing a custom install.
Okay, this wasn't going to be a thread about whether or not DELL is intslling "crap" on new machines or not. But all software thet I didn't install on a new machine (be it trial versions of antivirus, media center stuff etc.) is regarded "crap" in my point of view. I didn't mean to be harsh.

Anyway, I don't have access to an external drive so I have to solve this with a USB key. Any advice?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb
This is rather harsh blaming Dell for what looks like a Microsoft issue. It looks like you have a problem re-installing XP from the bona fida Windows media you have - you do have this?
Yes, I have the cdr of XP SP3 that came with the machine. Any advice?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Well, I purchased a mini with Ubuntu on it and I didn't really like the fact that I couldn't install some much used programs like yahoo messenger. Yes I know I can still use yahoo through other programs but not with the use of webcams to chat with my kids when I am on the other side of the country for work. So I grabbed the xp pro license that I had on my old laptop and downloaded a stripped down version of xp pro on a popular torrent site, mounted the iso, scanned the iso, and then followed the instructions found HERE. This guide is pretty thorough and I managed to load XP on the first try. The only thing I didn't see that it said in there was that you had to close the gui PeToUSB after you use it and installing XP is a 2 part process. You have to do the text part till it completes then let it reboot and tell it to do the GUI part. I figured that out on my own though and it worked great!! I hope this works!

P.S. Typed on my fantastically new mini 9 with XP Pro!
Thanks! I will try that solution. Hope that it works regardless of me only having XP home ed. and 1 GB RAM. I'll let you know.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pznaty
Thanks! I will try that solution. Hope that it works regardless of me only having XP home ed. and 1 GB RAM. I'll let you know.
The version of XP does not matter and my 2G module is still on the way, so I still only have 1G ram and it installed fine! Good luck!

I also made a post in the Windows XP Pro section about speeding up the boot time of your windows. It might be worth checking out if you are not familiar with editing boot options!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Couldn't get further than trying to format the USB key. I get an error message and that process couldn't be completed, so the party stopped there.

I suspect it has something to do with my USB key It's a pretty standard 8 GB key and, well, I actually haven't got a clue as to why this isn't working....

« Help Cant Create Bootable USB Due to PC 64bit | Aim »