Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Anyway, after a day of trying to fix the 1½ Xp installation machine, it has now died (almost) completely on me. After the XP splash/logo screen, the screen goes black and the boot process stops....

If i try and boot from the installation cd, it says something about a missing/defect file "hal.dll" in the system32 Windows folder. I have tried copying a new file from another XP machine but that didn't change a thing...

So the machine is rendered useless and I have to wait untill Monday with calling technical support....
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM

The problem I see in just removing pre-installed trial apps via Add/Remove is that you are guaranteed to be left with artifacts in the registry and systems folders, as well as (most likely) the root. Sure it's easier and faster than a re-install after format, but you never know what evil lurks down the road
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 02-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Now I'm trying an install of Mac OS. If that works, at least I have an operational MIni9 during today. :mrgreen:

This also gives me a chance to try out Mac OS because I'm not wiling to give up my Windows life when it comes to "crucial" day to day operations
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pznaty

Yes, I have the cdr of XP SP3 that came with the machine. Any advice?
As you don't have access to a DVD drive, there's not a lot you can do. You were aware that the media provided was on DVDs?
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb
Quote:
Originally Posted by pznaty

Yes, I have the cdr of XP SP3 that came with the machine. Any advice?
As you don't have access to a DVD drive, there's not a lot you can do. You were aware that the media provided was on DVDs?
I was aware of that and that is why I asked technocal support for advice before I started. They said that what I was planning (installing the copied content from the Windows DVD from a USB key) was the way to reinstall the OS. Apparently it wasn't quite that simple. And frankly, I don't think that technical support was aware of that either...

Anyway, I'm running Mac OSX now, so my initial problems are gone.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I know it is popular to say that there is "all kinds of crap" on the systems, but I don't agree. You can easily uninstall software you don't want and use the Add or Remove Programs applet to remove Windows components you don't want. I keep seeing people render their systems unbootable or unusable in an attempt to "remove the crap". You've already wasted time and effort in this process. not helped by not understanding how an XP install works.

The simplest way to reinstall is to have a USB CD/DVD drive, insert the supplied XP CD in the drive an boot from the CD (press 0 during the initial boot screen). You can then delete the existing partition if you want by doing a custom install.
i agree. when i first got my mini 9 i spent about a good hour to disable/remove programs and any other stuff i didn't want in there or feel it didn't need. you are wasting time reinstalling XP unless u want to go PRO or some thing else...
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb
Since DELL is pre-installing all kinds of crap on new machines I want to reinstall XP (and gladly formatting the c-drive in the process).
This is rather harsh blaming Dell for what looks like a Microsoft issue. It looks like you have a problem re-installing XP from the bona fida Windows media you have - you do have this?
How do you consider it a Microsoft issue? My Dell Inspiron 2650 - bought a few years ago - and my sons Dell desktop (before I built him a REAL computer) both came loaded with all sorts of non-Microsoft garbage, from Nortons to AOHell, to whatever. It's a useless scam foisted off just to get some advertising bucks from software manufacturers. A buyers ONLY option - if you don't want to be left with all kinds of artifacts in your registry and systems folders - is to reformat the things and install a fresh OS ... assuming you own a copy of your OS of choice to begin with, besides the garbage "recovery" disk Dell (and most others, I'll grant) ships with their systems.

Microsoft Works? Are they serious? Does anybody actually use Works? Norton? Rated as one of the worst scanners there is for actually catching newer virii and trojans? Get serious, Dell - that stuff is useless garbage, and buyers should be able to get a system loaded with nothing but the OS and required drivers. Period!
  (#18) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 02:39 AM

Norton consistently rates as best overall in virus and malware scanning, and it has one of the lowest system overheads.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Norton consistently rates as best overall in virus and malware scanning, and it has one of the lowest system overheads.
LOL - according to whom?
  (#20) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Want to reinstall XP on Mini 9 - 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM

According to all the magazine tests I have read.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Help Cant Create Bootable USB Due to PC 64bit | Aim »