Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Can it? To save some space...?
Thanks!
ps. I can not test myself now because my SDHC I ordered is still in transit.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM

You really don't want to do that - the system will run very slowly, even if it works. If you have upgraded the RAM to 2GB, try disabling the pagefile entirely.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM

You should also factor in that swap/page files will burn out any flash-type card. Such files have the tendency to rapidly write and rewrite data onto the card. Also, while the write properties of these cards are extremely high, the designers more than likely intended normal file writing to this technology.

If you go this route, expect your card to be non-functional within a few weeks (or a few months max).

I've seen people using this method to gain additional virtual memory. This was especially prevalent with the Sharp Zaurus crowd awhile back. Although the Zaurus runs Linux and uses swap and swap files, the concept is very similar to how Windows uses virtual RAM. IMO, its not worth it, unless you've money to burn. Cost-wise, its probably better to just add more physical RAM.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 07:48 PM

OK, I will try not to try it... On the other hand... aren't flash cards similar technology to SSDs? So how come SSDs (with active page file) don't break after weeks or few months?
Thanks!!
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfool
If you go this route, expect your card to be non-functional within a few weeks (or a few months max).
I think that's a bit extreme. I've been using an SD card on my Vista desktop to run the ReadyBoost feature; the OS has been read/writing the card for two years now 24/7 with no problems. The card is still 100% functional.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim7
OK, I will try not to try it... On the other hand... aren't flash cards similar technology to SSDs? So how come SSDs (with active page file) don't break after weeks or few months?
Thanks!!
No idea...until now, I've never used an SSD. It is quite possible that SSDs are exactly the same.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfool
I think that's a bit extreme. I've been using an SD card on my Vista desktop to run the ReadyBoost feature; the OS has been read/writing the card for two years now 24/7 with no problems. The card is still 100% functional.
From what I've read (I haven't experienced it), it WILL happen. Now, keep in mind, the period I was talking about was around 9 yrs ago. The SD cards back then were lower capacity. Putting swap on a 1 gig card...there's only a gig of space on the card so its going to burn out quite a bit faster than on a bigger card, especially if swapping happens alot.

I'm not the only person on these forums that has said that this is bad. I don't have to experience this to know it, either. Maybe you've lots of physical RAM in your system...the more RAM that is present, the less the OS will touch the pagefile...maybe that's why yours hasn't died yet. Bottom line is that the cards have finite write capability and since pagefiling moves data all around constantly (and per demand), your mileage will vary, but it will happen, especially if you have little physical RAM to begin with.

(#8) Old

Default Re: Can Win XP page file be directed to SDHC? - 02-26-2009, 11:08 PM

I don't disagree that memory cards have a finite life-span; they will "die" eventually. I'm just saying my experience has been they will begin to malfunction after years of constant use- not weeks.

« How can I tell the size of the hard drive? | Last two questions... »