Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Should I wait to install new parts? - 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm waiting for my new Mini 9 to show up at the door. I bought it online yesterday from Best Buy for $299. I couldn't get it cheaper from Dell, actually more expensive even with free memory and SDD upgrade. I got 1GB RAM and 8 GB SSD. I didn't have a choice with that. It also has 1.3 web cam and NO bluetooth.

My question is, should I wait and see how it works for me prior to installing 2 GB RAM and 16 GB SSD? Also, is it worth installing 16 GB SSD or just use a SDHC or both?

I'm only using this for e-mail, surfing, looking at digital pictures and I'll probably get an external CD/DVD so I can watch movies while I'm camping. Not sure if the display is high res enough to actually edit photos with. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Should I wait to install new parts? - 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jr
..My question is, should I wait and see how it works for me prior to installing 2 GB RAM and 16 GB SSD? Also, is it worth installing 16 GB SSD or just use a SDHC or both?..
i'd definitely suggest getting a 16g sdhc first. the ram may be considered a luxury, depending on how much stuff you'll be running..the ssds are kinda expensive and also a luxury, depending on how much stuff you'll be installing. the sdhc's a good upgrade cuz you wont be replacing any existing part, and it's a whole heckuvalot cheaper than getting an ssd upgrade. granted, the speed of the sdhc probably wont be as fast as, say, a runcore..but you can decide for yourself if speed is a major factor once you've played with your mini for a little while.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Should I wait to install new parts? - 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks. That sounds like good advice. I just tracked my Mini 9 and it's out for delivery today. Can't wait to get home from work. As if this impulse purchase wasn't enough, I ordered a second one for my fiance. That shows up on Monday. I hope we like them because if we don't we're stuck with two. I figure we'll keep one pretty much stock (hers) and use mine for any upgrading We also ordered a LG external DVD/CD for it. Is a 1 GB / 8 GB running XP a good unit to watch DVD's on? I want to be able to do that when we're camping.

« Dell Outlet | Few questions before buying. »