Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Battery question - 02-24-2009, 04:14 AM

I'm wondering if leaving my Mini 9 plugged in when it is off will hurt the battery. I know you can charge the battery when the computer is off, but after it is charged, is it safe to leave it plugged in?
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to Cruleworld Send a message via MSN to Cruleworld
Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 04:21 AM

Yes it is fine to leave it plugged in

(#3) Old

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 04:25 AM

leaving it plugged in wont shorten the battery's life?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 05:05 AM

I was trying to read the dell manual to see if it said anything, but it doesn't.

One thing I did see, which was sort of disappointing, was that the battery is only good for 300 charges/discharges. Because I use my Mini on battery every day, it won't even last a year according to that specification.

(#5) Old

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 06:39 AM

Mine has been "always on" in some capacity-ON,sleep,hibernate- and is plugged in 24/7 unless I'm toting to work, get donut, or friends house. still loses juice at +-1 minute of when I got it. Which is about 3 hours for what I use it for.

I've run the battery down to squat several times trying to gets my buddy's telescope to work with Stellarium.

It was off a few times when I got it to poke around inside, but from about november 'til now my global footprint has been about 30w larger.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkbad
.. the battery is only good for 300 charges/discharges. Because I use my Mini on battery every day, it won't even last a year according to that specification.
you can always just take the battery out once you've fully charged it, assuming you're still near an outlet, have your ac adapter, and dont mind being tethered to the wall. hahah i've always done that with my refurb 700m from about 4yrs ago and the battery still has 2+hrs/charge. i know ppl say that the new batteries these days have some built-in thing to protect it from being overcharged and stuff..but i dunno. i still think it's good to play it safe. i prefer using the outlet when i dont need to over always needing to have an outlet around.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

That "300 charges" refers to full discharge then charge cycles. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be fully discharged, so if you leave it topped up, or at least 80% full, it will last many years.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
That "300 charges" refers to full discharge then charge cycles. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be fully discharged, so if you leave it topped up, or at least 80% full, it will last many years.
This is good to hear. Thanks for posting.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM

How do you calibrate the battery? Is it like my MacBook...

Charge it fully. Leave it plugged in for three hours, then unplug it. Let the battery drain down, until it goes to sleep. Leave it for a few more hours fully drained. Then plug it in, fully charging it again.

I just got my Mini 9 on Saturday. Should I "Condition" the battery, letting it drain fully, then charging it a couple of times?
  (#10) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Battery question - 02-24-2009, 06:56 PM

The calibration isn't for the battery - it's for the battery meter. The battery meter provided does not offer a calibration feature. Just charge the battery and use it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Buying Mini9 with ubuntu or XP - for OSX install | How can I tell the size of the hard drive? »