Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default installing xp through usb flash drive - 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM

so ive had an 8gb mini 9 for over a month now, but ease of use w/ ubuntu is tough getting used to. i cant install certain software or use webcam chat such as camfrog. i tried installing xp sp 3 but it didnt work through an external 360 hd dvd drive. so i got a 16gb usb stick, how would i transfer the cd onto the stick, then transfer onto ssd? i like the simple layout of ubuntu, but easy tasks done using xp seems preferred
  (#2) Old

Default Re: installing xp through usb flash drive - 02-23-2009, 06:54 PM

I am 99% sure how to do this but I am going to run my system through it real quick. I know you have to prep the thumb drive and some other stuff which I already have done. I should have an answer in about an hour, then I may write up a tutorial on doing that if someone doesn't already have one.

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#3) Old

Default Re: installing xp through usb flash drive - 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM

Check out THIS 2-page thread...there are some links to instructions.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: installing xp through usb flash drive - 02-23-2009, 08:05 PM

ha! I think that is the same website that I used to create mine back in December! Those instructions are pretty thorough. I set mine up but forgot my new mobo doesn't support booting from usb and I don't have my mini yet. Two more veerrrryyy long days!

-WarMachine
  (#5) Old

Default Re: installing xp through usb flash drive - 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM

Okay, I did some more poking around and that website was definitely the one that I used before because I haven't had a floppy in I don't know how long. So after much searching I found something much closer to what I did before though it is not the same website that I found a couple of months ago. If you click HERE you will see a much easier way to go about it. Just instead of using windows 7 you can extract the XP files onto the drive! I am re-doing my thumb drive myself with the custom stripped down XP image I made last night. I won't be able to test it though until my mini gets here Wednesday!

-WarMachine

« Hi new to forum and looking for help. | SSD Speed & Comparison »