Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hi new to forum and looking for help. - 02-23-2009, 03:16 AM

Heres the situation and if anyone can help that would be appreciated.

I have my mini 9 running xp home and my desktop running xp pro. Both have shared files set and folders set to share. From the desktop i can view the shared files on my mini and i can access the files and i can edit the word files with no problem. The problem is from the mini i cant view the network. In my network places its just blank. I've been searching around and been doing everything i can think of and it seems to be a one sided problem since i can view and edit files on the mini from the desktop but i just cant view the network from the mini. Help please.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Hi new to forum and looking for help. - 02-23-2009, 03:35 AM

Welcome to the forum!

A couple thoughts. Chances are you're not having a Mini-specific problem, so searching for help elsewhere on the web is a good option.

It also sounds like you've tried several things, and still no luck.

Two suggestions: 1) Give your thread a name that will let folks know what it is about; you have a better chance of getting someone who can help. 2) Let us know what you've tried that didn't work so we know where to start.

Good luck!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hi new to forum and looking for help. - 02-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Good points jej.514

hey cowboi, you using a nice clean install of xp pro or have you messed with it e.g. nlite,add/remove components. do you have file and printer share enabled on the xp pro? in network connections somewhere in properties File and Printer Sharing box should checked. I think you can get there by Start>Control Panel>Security Center>Windows Firewall>Exceptions>Programs and Services also

sorry about poor grammar, I went to american public school

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hi new to forum and looking for help. - 02-23-2009, 08:37 AM

after messing with it for the longest time it ended up being the anti virus on the xp pro desktop since it had a another firewall i had to open up to be able to see the files.

The odd thing tho is why i wasnt able to see anything in the network places. But that problem has gone away now and that was taken care of.

Thanks for the help Now i can install cd's from the desktop cd drive onto my mini.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hi new to forum and looking for help. - 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Isn't drive sharing great? I do that, and I stream my iTunes collection from my desktop, which is handy at home.

Enjoy your Mini!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium

« I'm getting a MINI 9! | installing xp through usb flash drive »