Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default I'm getting a MINI 9! - 02-23-2009, 01:46 AM

Finally, after making an IBM Thinkpad go from win2k to winXP, and making that work for a few years, I'm finally getting a new lappy, and I'm happy. Got it with the one day sale Dell had, came out to 264 with shipping. 512MB RAM, 8GB SSD, Ubuntu, and .3MP camera. Didn't wanna spring for the 1.3MP or the extra RAM, because I figure i dont really need a camera, and I could just upgrade the RAM later. Now I have some questions

1. Is the .3MP camera serviceable for webcam chat? I'm hardly in a dark environment (work/school is always bright, room is full of windows) Anybody care to post a pic of what it looks like?

2. Any specific brands for RAM?

3. Any specific brands for an external cd/dvd drive that works outta the box?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: I'm getting a MINI 9! - 02-23-2009, 02:08 AM

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the (soon-to-be) new Mini.

I have the 0.3 MP webcam, but don't use it often. But I've tried it out and the image seems clear enough...good lighting is a good idea since the camera is angled up slightly because of the lid position, so tends to have more backlighting.

I upgraded my RAM to Crucial, since that is what I have used on my other laptop with no problems. Plus, Crucial's website has the wizard where you plug in your computer manufacturer and model, and it will offer only what is compatible. Others have purchased RAM from Newegg in other brands (GSkill, etc.).

As for external CD/DVD drive, I would avoid getting the drive that Dell sells with the Mini. Lots of people that have purchased that have had problems. Some have bought no-name drives from ebay for very cheap, and have not posted about problems. I spent the extra $$ and bought an LG slim drive and it works fine.

« Brand Spankin' New! | Hi new to forum and looking for help. »