Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 05:59 PM

I am totally into this idea. Mostly so I don't have to carry my 15" MB Pro with me everywhere. So, here is my question, would it be better to just buy a stripped down model with Ubuntu to do this? What would be the ideal configuration for this?

Thanks!

T.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM

I'd get a Dell Mini 9.

Dell Mini 12 Netbook, Black
XP Home, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz; 60Gb Pata 4200Rpm; 6-cell battery.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to Cruleworld Send a message via MSN to Cruleworld
Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

If you are going to put MAC OSX on it it doesn't matter what OS is installed, however it is recommended that you have a 16GB SSD and a GB of ram wouldn't hurt. Gizmodo has a good guide on making your mini 9 into a Hackintosh: http://i.gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hac ... -x-netbook

(#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 07:08 PM

If I were to buy one for the sole purpose of running OS X, I would buy the Mini 9n (Ubuntu), 512MB of RAM and minimum 32GB SSD. Camera and bluetooth are strictly optional. Upgrade to 2GB of RAM when it arrives (it's cheaper if you order the RAM separately from another source such as NewEgg.)

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 08:45 PM

Cool. Guess I should have noted that this is all on a Mini 9. I've been looking around a bit and am wondering if it would be cheaper to buy the 8gb SSD and just upgrade it from there?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowagn
Cool. Guess I should have noted that this is all on a Mini 9. I've been looking around a bit and am wondering if it would be cheaper to buy the 8gb SSD and just upgrade it from there?
Why not go the basic 4gb then, unless you need an extra 8gb ssd for something. with the money you save(not much) you could throw that at a runcore.

BTW, have you checked the outlet?

I stand corrected- a 9 with 32gb @ DELL is cheaper then runcore but RAM is blasphemous.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-22-2009, 10:05 PM

Ya I saw ram at Dell is a total ripoff. I just checked Crucial and *assuming* I gave the right info, a 2gb memory can be had for right around $27. Not a bad deal on the 8gb upgrade from Dell either.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM

this thread makes me happy. I just ordered, yesterday... My mini 9 will have Ubuntu, 512 RAM (because it was cheaper to buy my 2 gig chip from crucial), and as for the SSD, I ordered the 64Gig, because I want my iTunes library on the machine, and aftermarket SSD's were simply more expensive that going with Dell's.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM

I have somewhat the same problem. After some initial research I'm planning on buying the cheapest Ubuntu version and then upgrading to 2g of RAM and the 16g RunCore SSD. And finally I want to install OS-X.

My question is what about the Dell bluetooth and webcam? These will add $50 to my original price, and my logic is I should buy them in case I ever want them. But is there any hope of getting them to run under OS-X?

Okay, I know I could probably get the answer by doing a lot of surfing, but I'm hoping someone will just know and get back to me. I want to buy this thing today if I'm going to do it.

Thanks in advance.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 02-28-2009, 02:09 AM

I'd also be interested in hearing the same answers. Just ordered mine today...same MO, 512K RAM (ordered 2GB already), plus 8GB SSD as I understood that I could get OS X up and running with that and then upgrade to 32GB SSD or so later...when the price comes down. Hope it works. I got BT and the "high-end" web cam just for the heck of it. Searching now for a Mac Box Family Edition...need OS X for the Mini 9 and want to add iLife and iWorks (will they fit on the 8GB SSD?) plus upgrade to iLife '09 and iWorks '09 on my iMac 24" and our HT's Mac Mini.

Thanks for all of the great info and TIA for more!

« XP Upgrade CD | Microsoft Office and Student »