Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Hey guys I would recommend going to eBay and looking for a Dell Mini 9. I picked mines up for $430 brand new in the box and in RED!! with free shipping with these specs:

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910) Laptop/Netbook
Cherry Red Color
Intel Atom Processor N270 1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512 L2 Cache
8.9 Inch LED Display (1024X600)
1GB DDR2 533MHz 1 DIMM
32GB Solid State Flash Drive
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
DELL Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1
3 USB 2.0
1 Media Card Reader (SD/MS/Pro.MMC)
S-Video For Output to Monitor
Linux Ubuntu Version 8.04.1
28 WHr 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#12) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM

S-Video output? I don't think so....

$430 sounds high to me for that configuration. Dell offers it for $404.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Yea, it's a VGA output.

Nick

Macbook Pro 15" (4.1) - Running Ubuntu 8.10 in a VM
Mini 9 - Black, 4GB, 512MB, Ubuntu, no accessories
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 03-03-2009, 02:19 AM

I too am considering getting a Dell Mini 9 for Hackintosh install. When I configure at the Dell site I get more options for memory and SSD drives when going with Ubuntu OS. I can always add RAM myself and have plenty of 1 GB RAM but how come the SSD options for XP are only 8 GB or 16 GB when Linux can get you up to 64 GB? All I can find in the outlet are 4 GB SSD so that's not an option.

What's up with that? What else is different and why?

I was on vacation last week and missed coupon deal but I'm sure there will be more soon.

Red Dell Mini 9 32GB OS X
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 03-03-2009, 04:06 AM

First of all, I'd like to point out that we have a completely lovely OSX forum here. Secondly, if you look up in the upper right hand corner, there is a search function here. Most of your questions can be answered by using it.

Now then, to answer some of the basic questions that I picked up on.....

The 8GB SSD is BARELY enough for the OS. To get it to install you need to clean a LOT of stuff out of it. If you're using a legal retail disc or image created from your legal retail disc (which is the only install source you'll find support for on this forum), an 8GB install is pretty damned difficult. I'd say for practical purposes, the 16GB is the bare minimum. A full install w/ all of the languages and driver support is around 12GB.

You'll definitely want the 2GB of RAM option. Get it aftermarket from NewEgg or the like and save money. Dell wants WAY too much money for the memory upgrades.

The reason you can't get an XP Machine w/ a large SSD from Dell is because of a contractual agreement b/t Dell and Micro$oft. I don't know the specifics, but what does it matter if you're loading OSX anyway.

The camera works, the bluetooth is hit and miss.

Lastly, for those of you that have not ordered yet, do yourselves a favor. Order from the Dell Outlet or find a reputable eBay seller. New orders from Dell are looking to be 30 days PLUS from order date to shipping date. Some people are getting them sooner, but on the whole they're taking forever.

Anything I didn't answer, I'm sorry....but, again, check the OSX forum for all of you OSX needs.

/thank you

Black Mini 9 | A04 | 2GB | 32GB Runcore | OS X 10.5.8 | NBI 0.8.3
Wake on USB/Legacy USB: Off | Bluetooth: Not Installed
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Best config to turn into a Hackintosh? - 03-03-2009, 04:37 AM

Thanks for that. I asked about the 8GB SSD. I called Dell a couple of days ago and it was too late to change my order. I could order another one and return the original when it arrives, but I think I'll just order a 32GB SSD (wish the price would come down some more) and see if someone wants the 8GB SSD on ebay. I have a 2GB SODIMM on the way already. I picked up a new Apple Mac Box Set Family Pack (OS X 10.5.6 + iLife '09 + iWork '09) good for five installs on ebay for about $150. I can use it for a fresh install on the Dell (I'd like iLife on it too, not sure if iWork will fit...if not no big deal) and update my 24" iMac and Mac Mini. Might even try a Hackintosh on one of my PC's for fun.

Thanks for the tips and the link!

« XP Upgrade CD | Microsoft Office and Student »