Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via ICQ to n0m0n Send a message via AIM to n0m0n
Default Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-21-2009, 11:35 PM

Thank you for all the support I greatly appreciate it all.
I did notice that when I plug my DVD-RW that Dell sent me the mini9 and then plug my 320gb Toshiba hard drive in, I get a Unknown Device in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section in Device Manager.

When I unplug the Toshiba HD and it goes away, so its clear that its related.
I have tried to upgrade the driver via the online search, but it tells me that the best driver is installed.

Oh the HD is not recognized as as long as the DVD-RW is plugged in.
If I unplug the DVD-RW drive the HD gets recognized.

How do I get this to find a driver?
The HD is a few years old and I have been using it for a bit so the paperwork is no longer here.

Thanks

JW
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: webcam - 02-22-2009, 12:24 AM

I don't think a driver is going to help. There is some sort of conflict/ Have you tried the other tabs in the device properties to see if there's a clue?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: webcam - 02-22-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
I don't think a driver is going to help. There is some sort of conflict/ Have you tried the other tabs in the device properties to see if there's a clue?
That is the only one that I can see that is an issue as to the USB conflict.
It is directly related to the USB Mass Storage Device I think.

Thanks

JW
  (#4) Old

Default Re: webcam - 02-22-2009, 05:14 AM

Since both require power via the USB ports do you think that 2 drives (DVD, & HD) can not be supported at once?
Thanks

JW
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: webcam - 02-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Yes, that's very possible. In fact, I've seen this symptom when a USB drive had insufficient power.

I note that this thread is really no longer about webcams and will see about splitting it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 03:54 PM

you know, this actually sounds like a possible irq conflict. Remember when you had to manually change those? Well maybe I am dating myself a bit. Anyway, what OS are you running? I'm not extremely savvy with Linux but am quite keen on Windows. Any error messages would be awesome too in helping to detect the source of the problem. Thanks!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#7) Old

Default Re: webcam - 02-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Yes, that's very possible. In fact, I've seen this symptom when a USB drive had insufficient power.

I note that this thread is really no longer about webcams and will see about splitting it.

Steve, I created this thread about issues (at the time webcam) that I was having that then lead to this conflict.
Once I got the webcam to work I figure it is related in some remote way.

Ok?

Thanks

JW
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
you know, this actually sounds like a possible irq conflict. Remember when you had to manually change those? Well maybe I am dating myself a bit. Anyway, what OS are you running? I'm not extremely savvy with Linux but am quite keen on Windows. Any error messages would be awesome too in helping to detect the source of the problem. Thanks!

well what happens is I can plug in the HD in alone and it works well.
I then I unplug the HD and plug in the DVD and it to will work as it should.
If when either is plugged in and I plug the other in both become unusable.
Both have there own drive letters and seem to keep them when they work or do not.
I also noticed in explorer that when both DVD/HD are plugged inn at the same time the HD is no longer visual as a drive, and the power light on the HD goes out.
The DVD is still recognizable but only that its plugged in.
I cant access a DVD, CD, or anything related to it.

Oh I have upgraded to Vista Home Basic, 2 gb of ram and a 64gb SSD HD.
I have everything else working now, and just installed the chipset drivers for the mini12 since it has a Vista 32b option to see if that would address my problem.
But it didn't.

Thanks

JW
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Well I wish I could help you further. I did some googling but couldn't really find anything. I have vista on my desktop but the OS is so sketchy that I can't guarantee everything inside and out to be working at any given time. Most of the time its a speaker/mic solution for me. I wish you the best of luck with this and hopefully you find a solution. The best advice I can give you is put XP or Windows 7 on there. I am using 7 for a file server and as the OS of choice on my reg laptop. I am actually debating about putting it on my mini when it comes in. I really like 7 so far. It is well put together!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Well I wish I could help you further. I did some googling but couldn't really find anything. I have vista on my desktop but the OS is so sketchy that I can't guarantee everything inside and out to be working at any given time. Most of the time its a speaker/mic solution for me. I wish you the best of luck with this and hopefully you find a solution. The best advice I can give you is put XP or Windows 7 on there. I am using 7 for a file server and as the OS of choice on my reg laptop. I am actually debating about putting it on my mini when it comes in. I really like 7 so far. It is well put together!

I was interested in Vin 7 but I did not know where to find it, or what the system requirements were.

Thanks

JW

« Second Thoughts... | New Guy seeking tips »