Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Well, I couldn't find min requirements (prob wont since it is in beta) but I do have the download link for ya. I do know that there are at least a few people that have put 7 on there mini's on this site alone. I want to say I saw a sticky of how exactly to do it too. Anyhow here is the lik to download and get you started!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-download.aspx

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#12) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM

I suggest that you pursue the power issue. Does either the HD or DVD have a provision for external power? I have an external DVD drive that will sometimes display similar symptoms if it isn't getting enough power from the USB port. Make sure that the Mini is on AC power and use the USB ports on the left side as they seem to have more power available.

You might also experiment with a powered USB hub.

Windows 7 is no longer available as a public beta, but I can confirm that it runs fine on the Mini.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-22-2009, 11:37 PM

If you are interested in 7 though I believe it is still out there, if not I have an extra key that I can part with. Just send me a PM if you are interested!!

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#14) Old

Send a message via ICQ to n0m0n Send a message via AIM to n0m0n
Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-24-2009, 03:01 PM

Ok I have now found that it is a power issue.
I can run both DVD-RW and HD at the same time as long as its off of a powered USB hub.
Not my whole reason for purchasing this mini was because it was a mini!
Small, light and VERY portable.
Having to carry a hub would defeat the purpose a bit.
I guess now before I call Dell does anyone know if there is a setting that I might not have found to increase the output of voltage so that both can run at the same time off the mini?

I mean whats the reason for 3 USB ports if you can even use 2 at he same time??? (Ive been trying the 2 on the left side).

Thanks

JW
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-24-2009, 03:52 PM

I would suggest that a different external DVD (or maybe HD) would help. I can run my external HD (Western Digital Passport Elite) and DVD (LG) at the same time without issues or external power to the drives. Newer USB drives draw less power.

Steve
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-25-2009, 01:40 AM

Hmmm the DVD drive is the one that Dell sells for the mini.
They are who I got it from.
And they replaced the drive thinking that that would address the issue which is did not.

JW
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-25-2009, 01:57 AM

Well, lots of people have reported problems with that DVD drive. I have an LG which I bought from NewEgg and it works perfectly.

Steve
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-25-2009, 02:07 AM

Wouldn't you think dell would sell something that would work best with their products?
The LG is with out external power?
And you can run both at the same time on the mini?
Thanks

JW
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-25-2009, 03:22 PM

I use the LG without external power, though I need to have the Mini on AC power for it to work with something else plugged in as well. The LG includes a second cable that can supply additional power (from a second USB port) if needed.

Steve
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Can't have external DVD and HD at the same time - 02-26-2009, 02:43 AM

What would that cable be called?
I have a USB to 3.5mm, but the 3.5mm end is to small for the drive that I have.

Thanks

JW

« Second Thoughts... | New Guy seeking tips »